Thread: Rhetorich: Completely off topic, but ...

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: Completely off topic, but ...

the scientific breakthrough of the 21st century just took place!

Univ of Texas - Dallas scientists found a way to spin carbon nanotube fibers. Maybe that doesn't mean anything to you now, but remember 20 years from now that you heard it here first

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: BeenSpinningNanotubesInMyGarageForYears *NM*

Nifty_4952

Nifty_4952: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

> the scientific breakthrough of the 21st
    > century just took place!

> Univ of Texas - Dallas scientists found a
    > way to spin carbon nanotube fibers. Maybe
    > that doesn't mean anything to you now, but
    > remember 20 years from now that you heard it
    > here first
    Why in Gods name did you decide to place this on at least two Blackjack sites? What is your point and why did the moderator post it?

Parker

Parker: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

> . . . and why did the moderator post
    > it?

The original poster has "bypass moderation" status, which means that the post went up when he made it, and I was then faced with the prospect of deleting it - or not.

While admittedly off-topic (but identified as such in the subject line), there was nothing offensive about it, so I left it up. It's been a slow weekend.:-)

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

You haven't read my new book Progression Nanotubes

PunkEye

PunkEye: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

> You haven't read my new book Progression
    > Nanotubes
    What we're really waiting for is Recursive Nanotubes.

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: Why? Because ...

> Why in Gods name did you decide to place
    > this on at least two Blackjack sites?

I may be wrong, but I'd like to think of people who visit this site as members of a community with something in common, even if it's only true around the subject of blackjack. We're a loosely assembled extended family interested in each other's welfare.

The invention in Dallas was like a light switch --and the widespread availability of electric power. Our experience and expectations have been shaped by living in a world completely unlike the one *this* technology will create.

Think of me as some dickhe -- er, deck-head -- who got so enthusiastic about something that he stepped outside the usual interests of the group to let you know about it.

With apologies to you, if you need to hear them, and to Arthur C. Clarke for using these words from "2010" => Somthing's going to happen. Something wonderful.

qboy

qboy: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

I've been using nanotubes to mark cards for years. I apply a 'smear' to each card I handle. Their high-temperature superconductive properties allow me to identify the card merely by dipping the card in liquid nitrogen and measuring the resistance of the card's face to a small electric current. While my 500 lbs of equipment may someday be considered an illegal 'device', I have yet to be backed off using it. I've won over $5.2 Billion in the last 4 years.

> What we're really waiting for is Recursive
    > Nanotubes.

hip hop

hip hop: Re: Why? Because ...

I remember reading that they might be able to pull payloads into orbit like a bucket of water in a well. This stuff really could change the world as we know it.

Hip Hop

Dog Hand

Dog Hand: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

Hey, qboy...

Cool Idea!
    Don't you have a little trouble handling the cards while wearing those low-temp asbestos gloves? :-O

Dog Hand

Magician

Magician: Re: Completely off topic, but ...

> You haven't read my new book Progression Nanotubes

Isn't that still off-topic?

Cyrus

Cyrus: And now for something completely the same

Forgive me for sounding like a Luddite but I view with suspicion such advances. The motives, and moreover, the intentions are always a little suspect. And that dismissive attitude towards nature and what is natural is quite pathetic, really.

"... a breakthrough in spinning carbon nanotube composite fibers that are tougher than any reported polymer fiber made by man or nature."

There might be a reason such material is not found in nature. (But so was vinyl and where would I be without it?) There is a reason our intestines don't have nothing to do with other organs.

"Among those possible applications are:

* Distributed fiber sensors able to monitor the movement and health of "first responders" to emergencies.
    * A new generation of bullet-proof vests and anti-ballistic materials that are much more effective than those in use today.
    * Multifunctional fibers for "micro air vehicles" the size of an insect that could replace current, much larger military drones used to gather intelligence remotely."

Ah, war. Yes. War is the mother of necessity.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Slow Weekends

> It's been a slow weekend.:-)

I'm sure I could speed it up a little, if you like?