Thread: Alan: Graph of Bankroll Growth

Alan

Alan: Graph of Bankroll Growth

Could someone please explain me how to create a line graph of bankroll growth for a CVData simulation (preferably in Excel). What I want to be able to see is the nature and extent of bankroll fluctuations for an actual simulation, preferably at increments of 10,000 rounds or less if at all possible. That way I can clearly see how dramatic the swings can be at their extreme as well as what can normally be expected much of the time.

This would give me (and maybe others) a much needed psychological boost when the real life bankroll takes a nose dive and a more realistic appraisal of the game during extended wins.

Thanks.

Alan

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Graph of Bankroll Growth

Hmmm. CVBJ and CVJournal chart bankroll over time. CVData doesn't since it deals with massive numbers of hands. The data wouldn't really mean much unless it was on a per hand basis since swings could be enormous in a very small number of hands. In fact, the big swings for counters normally occur in a single shoe. There's an old saying among pilots that flying is months of boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror. BJ can be like that because most movement occurs in those few moments when the count goes sky high and you have the max bet out. You can get a sense of the swings by looking at the Bankroll Excursion tables.

One thought. I could save the first million results of a sim and provide the ability to scan the results in chart form creating high-end-low charts (like stock charts) at various intervals. If there is interest I?ll look into it.

Regards,
    norm

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Graph of Bankroll Growth

In addition to CV, John Auston's BJRM's "Random Walk" feature is ideally suited for your needs.

Don

Jim Goodwin

Jim Goodwin: Re: Graph of Bankroll Growth

Hello Alan,

I am not familar with CVData but I can help you making graphs with Excel. If you enter all you data in one column, all you have to do is select insert then chart, then select line chart. Each row will be each day or session. It creates a very nice line graph.

Hope that helps.

Jim
    > Could someone please explain me how to
    > create a line graph of bankroll growth for a
    > CVData simulation (preferably in Excel).
    > What I want to be able to see is the nature
    > and extent of bankroll fluctuations for an
    > actual simulation, preferably at increments
    > of 10,000 rounds or less if at all possible.
    > That way I can clearly see how dramatic the
    > swings can be at their extreme as well as
    > what can normally be expected much of the
    > time.

> This would give me (and maybe others) a much
    > needed psychological boost when the real
    > life bankroll takes a nose dive and a more
    > realistic appraisal of the game during
    > extended wins.

> Thanks.

> Alan

Alan

Alan: Re: Graph of Bankroll Growth

Norm,

Charting the first million hands at various intervals would be ideal! Your sim software is truly indispensible, but it would be wonderful, too, to get a feel for actual real life highs and lows in chart form. This would greatly encourage players like me who experience occasionally long, and sometimes what seems like neverending, losses. I'm only just beginning to appreciate how important the psychology of the game is in such circumstances. A chart, like the one you are suggesting, would go a long way in overcoming such psychological hurdles.

Please let me know if and when you might be willing to provide such an option into your software.

Many thanks.

> Hmmm. CVBJ and CVJournal chart bankroll over
    > time. CVData doesn't since it deals with
    > massive numbers of hands. The data wouldn't
    > really mean much unless it was on a per hand
    > basis since swings could be enormous in a
    > very small number of hands. In fact, the big
    > swings for counters normally occur in a
    > single shoe. There's an old saying among
    > pilots that flying is months of boredom
    > interspersed with moments of sheer terror.
    > BJ can be like that because most movement
    > occurs in those few moments when the count
    > goes sky high and you have the max bet out.
    > You can get a sense of the swings by looking
    > at the Bankroll Excursion tables.

> One thought. I could save the first million
    > results of a sim and provide the ability to
    > scan the results in chart form creating
    > high-end-low charts (like stock charts) at
    > various intervals. If there is interest I?ll
    > look into it.

> Regards,
    > norm

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Graph of Bankroll Growth

> I am not familar with CVData but I can help
    > you making graphs with Excel. If you enter
    > all you data in one column, all you have to
    > do is select insert then chart, then select
    > line chart. Each row will be each day or
    > session. It creates a very nice line graph.

A little known fact, you can do the same with CVSpread, the spreasheet facility that comes with CVData.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: New CVData release

OK I added a bankroll log that logs the first 1,000,000 hands. You can then chart them in various ways. For example, the link below points to a high-low chart displaying 100 blocks of 100 hands each. For each block, the high and low points of the bankroll are charted. Pardon the colors - they smudge a bit when converting to the web.

There is a free update at www.qfit.com/downloads.htm. After installation, look for Bankroll Log in the Help index.

Have fun.

norm