Thread: Theef: Doubles, splits, and matchplays

Theef

Theef: Doubles, splits, and matchplays

When the floorman will only let you double your $25 matchplay for $25, instead of $50, or when you are allowed/forced to split for only $25, are there any BS doubles or splits that are no longer advisable? Are there any defensive splits that BECOME advisable?

I'd be shocked if this question hasn't been asked before, so a link to an earlier thread will do fine if you have one.

Magician

Magician: Re: Doubles, splits, and matchplays

> I'd be shocked if this question hasn't been
    > asked before, so a link to an earlier thread
    > will do fine if you have one.

There is a brief discussion on doubling with matchplays in Wong's Basic Blackjack.

J Morgan

J Morgan: Re: Doubles, splits, and matchplays

If you have $25 live cash + match-play coupon, but you can double or split for only $25 instead of $50, the deviations to BS are (S17 play precedes slash, H17 play follows slash):

IF COUPON IS RELINQUISHED ON PUSHES:
    12 v. 3 H/S; 16 v. T S; A2 v. 5 H; A2 v. 6 H/D; A4 v. 4 H; A8 v. 6 S. DAS: 22 v. 8 PC; 33 v. 8 PC; 44 v. 5 H/P; 66 v. 7 PC; 77 v. 8 PC; 99 v. A PC. NoDAS: 66 v. 2 PC; 77 v. 8 PC; 99 v. A PC.

IF COUPON IS SAVED ON PUSHES:
    11 v. A H; A2 v. 5 H; A2 v. 6 H/D; A3 v. 5 H/D; A4 v. 4 H; A7 v. 2 S; A7 v. 3 S/DS; A8 v. 6 S. DAS: 22 v. 8 PC; 33 v. 8 PC; 44 v. 5 H; 44 v. 6 H/P; 66 v. 7 PC; 77 v. 8 PC; 99 v. A S/PC. NoDAS: 22 v. 3 PC; 33 v. 8 PC; 66 v. 2 PC; 77 v. 8 PC; 99 v. A S/PC.

PC means to sPlit the hand containing the Coupon. All these changes would amount to about a nickel on your $25 match-play coupon.

The upcoming BJF will have an extensive article on all this. Some of it gets very complicated.

Theef

Theef: Re: Doubles, splits, and matchplays

> There is a brief discussion on doubling with
    > matchplays in Wong's Basic Blackjack.

BBJ's table 10 specifies four additional doubles (additions to *generic* BS, that is) when the $25 matchplay can be doubled for $50. It does not specify any doubles that would *no longer* be desirable when the $25 matchplay is doubled for $25.

Table 16 gives a generic basic strategy for splitting for the least amount possible (no more than 1/8), but not specifically for the case of the $25 matchplay split for $25.

Having learned that additional doubles become desirable when doubling a $25 matchplay for $50, I suspect that some additional splits may be desirable as well, when splitting for $50. And I still would like to know which doubles and splits become undesirable when doubling or splitting for $25. And while I'm wishing, I'd prefer the answers for specific rules - 1D H17 NDAS and 2D H17 NDAS - over generic answers.

Is there a way to answer these questions with SBA or something?