Thread: optrader: 3+ cards of 15s & 16s

optrader

optrader: 3+ cards of 15s & 16s

Hello, all,

I'm a recreational player and have enjoyed reading the posts in this forum! I've read many books on BJ but seem to have missed some stats and recommendations on multiple 3-card/4-card 15s and 16s. Basic Strategy recommends hitting hard 15s, 16s vs dealer 7-A.

Is this recommendation the same for 15s, 16s, of 3 or more cards? Or is it essentially a no-brainer and hitting vs dealer 7-A? (assuming no counting)

My inclination is to stop hitting on 15s & 16s if after 3 or more cards...but I know from trading that one's bias is often the wrong thing to do! Thank you for your time and help!

Punter

Punter: Re: 3+ cards of 15s & 16s

> Hello, all,

> I'm a recreational player and have enjoyed
    > reading the posts in this forum! I've read
    > many books on BJ but seem to have missed
    > some stats and recommendations on multiple
    > 3-card/4-card 15s and 16s. Basic Strategy
    > recommends hitting hard 15s, 16s vs dealer
    > 7-A.
    Assuming no counting it is slightly better to stand on a 3 card 16 against the dealers 10. A
    further refinement employs this strategy but goes farther in that if one of the 3 cards is a six, you should hit. We are talking fractional gains wheter you hit or stand. The other hands you mentioned should be hit to 17 or more.
    > Is this recommendation the same for 15s,
    > 16s, of 3 or more cards? Or is it
    > essentially a no-brainer and hitting vs
    > dealer 7-A? (assuming no counting)

> My inclination is to stop hitting on 15s
    > & 16s if after 3 or more cards...but I
    > know from trading that one's bias is often
    > the wrong thing to do! Thank you for your
    > time and help!
    When in doubt hit!

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: 3+ cards of 15s & 16s

Your instincts are correct for 16, but mostly just against the dealer's 10. For the most part, they are incorrect for 15.

Go to Mike Shackleford's thewizordofodds.com site, click on the blackjack pages, and look at what is referred to as "composition-dependent" basic strategy for the plays you mention.

Don

optrader

optrader: Re: 3+ cards of 15s & 16s

Thanks all. Don, keep up the great work!