Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. X: On Penetration

Mr. X

Mr. X: On Penetration

All else being equal, isn't a one deck game with 50% penetration (.5/1 decks dealt) as good a game as a six deck game with 92% penetration (5.5/6 decks decks dealt)?

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Nope

Take the 92%.

Mr. X

Mr. X: Re: Nope

> Take the 92%.

Why? Wong has suggested that penetration be evaluated by the number of undealt cards instead of percentage penetration. It makes sense. It appears that BJF's penetration ratings have unfairly rated one and two deck games which have lower percentage penetrations than six deck games.
    Remember, I am assuming all else being equal - rules, bet spreads, etc.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Can't possibly answer

I think Norm may have been a bit too hasty with this answer.

You can't possibly just say "all else equal." What are the specific rules of the game and what is the spread? For example, SD is VASTLY superior if s17, das, 1-6 spread. No contest.

But, the question really isn't a good one. With 6-deck, we often have das, ls, rsa, while those rules are rarely offered at SD, which, more often than not, also has h17 and possible restrictions on doubling.

But, for play-all mode, I'd say SD will be better.

Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: In fact, . . .

it's virtually certain that, with identical rules and spread, the SD game will always be vastly superior.

Don

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Ah, true

I was assuming the same rules, but a rational spread. With a large spread the SD game would be superior for the very short period before you are thrown out.

Mr. X

Mr. X: Re: Can't possibly answer

> I think Norm may have been a bit too hasty
    > with this answer.

> You can't possibly just say "all else
    > equal." What are the specific rules of
    > the game and what is the spread? For
    > example, SD is VASTLY superior if s17, das,
    > 1-6 spread. No contest.

> But, the question really isn't a good one.
    > With 6-deck, we often have das, ls, rsa,
    > while those rules are rarely offered at SD,
    > which, more often than not, also has h17 and
    > possible restrictions on doubling.

> But, for play-all mode, I'd say SD will be
    > better.

> Don

The World's Greatest Blackjack Simulation in your Blackjack Attack
    provides some insight into this issue but does not answer the question because the bet spreads in one deck are limited. (It does show that the early work of Uston and Snyder on acceptable one deck pen. is erroneous.) The question is a good one because it emphasizes the issue of undealt cards in evaluating penetration instead of using percentages which are misleading. For example, is 50% percentage in one deck bad? Is the Barbary Coast (2 deck, DAS, 50% pen.) really a burn joint?

Mr.X

Mr.X: This is a different Mr.X

Not that anybody cares, but for the record,I post here as Mr.X. This poster is different, has a space between the period and the X.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: This is a different Mr.X

> Not that anybody cares, but for the
    > record,I post here as Mr.X. This poster is
    > different, has a space between the period
    > and the X.

You need to change that. Parker, you should not permit a handle so similar to the first one. Please tell the new Mr. X to change his handle and please register variations of the old Mr.X so that the handle can't be copied.

Don

Igor

Igor: (Message Deleted by Poster)

full timer

full timer: rules better on 2dk and 6 dk

> then single deck hence-
    you are allowed to das,and a few places have surrender too,and stay on 17..three powerful advantage rules
    team mit used-6 deck
    team hammer used 6 deck
    both made millions.

pit crew don't watch as much since they feel that many
    qualified players play only 2dk/1 dk,and they feel the counters are not good enough.Larger and better action.

Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera: Mr. Y (no BJ)

I agree whole heartedly with DS on this. I further suggest that similar but unregistered handle's have their posts busted while in the Parker Holding Tank.

The whole purpose of Registration is defeated if this practice is allowed to continue.

This is NOT to imply that either of the Mr. X's posts were inappropriate. I just want to see "poster identity theft" discouraged on these boards because I've seen the disasterous results on other boards if it is left unchecked.

Buick Riviera (not Buick Riveira)

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Hell No!

> The first time you ordered me about like
    > that would also be the last time.

Me too. Except that we know Don well enough to know this is his oh-so-subtle way of making his opinion known.

We're a team.

Good Cards,

V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast