Thread: Telescopic: Arggh...How do I get threaded-guestbook style now.

Telescopic

Telescopic: Arggh...How do I get threaded-guestbook style now.

I used to be able to set my preferences at guestbookstyle-threaded and be able to click on the parent message and read all of the responding messages of a thread on the same page. I've been playing around with the new configuration attempting to do the same but have had no success. As I have the relatively slow loading webtv, the previous way I had set my preferences was really the only way for me to efficiently read a large volume of posts.

As it stands now, it is just much too time consuming for me to click on messages individually. Any help by anyone to regain the old method that I had used would be appreciated. If the old method is not included in the new format, I'd certainly suggest that it be implemented.

Thanks,
    Telescopic

Parker

Parker: Try this

> I used to be able to set my preferences at
    > guestbookstyle-threaded and be able to click
    > on the parent message and read all of the
    > responding messages of a thread on the same
    > page. I've been playing around with the new
    > configuration attempting to do the same but
    > have had no success. As I have the
    > relatively slow loading webtv, the previous
    > way I had set my preferences was really the
    > only way for me to efficiently read a large
    > volume of posts.

> As it stands now, it is just much too time
    > consuming for me to click on messages
    > individually. Any help by anyone to regain
    > the old method that I had used would be
    > appreciated. If the old method is not
    > included in the new format, I'd certainly
    > suggest that it be implemented.

Go to Preferences.

For "List Style" select "Threaded List"
    For "Display Style" select "Guestbook"
    For "Sort Order" select "Mixed Order"

Then select "View messages posted in the last week (or 2 days, or whatever you prefer)

That should do what you want.

I think. :-)

Telescopic

Telescopic: Didn't work

> Go to Preferences.

> For "List Style" select
    > "Threaded List"
    > For "Display Style" select
    > "Guestbook"
    > For "Sort Order" select
    > "Mixed Order"

> Then select "View messages posted in
    > the last week (or 2 days, or whatever you
    > prefer)

> That should do what you want.

> I think. :-)

I tried your suggestion Parker, but it didn't do what I wanted. Under the previous format, my Index Page listed all previous parent messages of a thread with the number of responses in parenthesis (and the number of new responses within that thread since my last visit). I would simply click on the parent message and the text of the parent message along with the text of all responses would be available on a single, sometimes lengthy page.

The previos format allowed for me to scroll up or down a page and read a large number of messages without having to wait for page loading. As it stands now, no matter how I format, I have to click on each individual posting seperately. This takes a great deal of time on my slow loading webtv.

Maybe one of these days I'll take the plunge, get a computer with a cable modem, and I will not have to worry about such things.

Thanks for your help,
    Telescopic

Telescopic

Telescopic: I figured it out

> Go to Preferences.

> For "List Style" select
    > "Threaded List"
    > For "Display Style" select
    > "Guestbook"
    > For "Sort Order" select
    > "Mixed Order"

> Then select "View messages posted in
    > the last week (or 2 days, or whatever you
    > prefer)

> That should do what you want.

> I think. :-)

Compressed, Guestbook, UBB did the trick and gave me the preferences that I like.

Thanks again,
    Telescopic

ET Fan

ET Fan: Hows about dis?

Hey, Parker! Here's what I'd like to see:

- Standard threaded style index

- When you click on a post, that post, and ALL POSTS BENEATH IT, in the heirarchy, are OPENED IN A NEW WINDOW.

- ALL posts that have had their text revealed are MARKED (color coded) so on next visit to the index page, you can see precisely where to click. (The way it is now, in Guestbook style, only posts actually clicked are marked.)

Wouldn't this just be the NAZZ? First time reading a thread, just click on the main post, and entire thread is readable at a glance. Yet, the thread structure is readily at hand by clicking in the index window.

Subsequent visits to same thread, you get as much, or as little text as you desire.

If connection is slow, you can click away at the index page, so you have multiple threads loading into their own neatly organized little windows.

Can't see any reason why it can't be done. Who do I write?

ETF

Parker

Parker: Glad to hear it

> Compressed, Guestbook, UBB did the trick and
    > gave me the preferences that I like.

I'm glad you were able to figure it out. The new software is, after all, an upgrade. I don't believe that there is any loss of functionality, but the user interface for the preferences seems a little less intuitive.

Some might call it confusing. :-)