Thread: Robert V. Lux: standard deviation and parameters

Robert V. Lux

Robert V. Lux: standard deviation and parameters

Well, I got no replies on my previous question. Hope I am luckier this time. I have got two questions.

1) What does standard deviation mean?
    2) What does single and multiparameter mean?

I would be happy if anyone who knows answred me. A piece of advice on my previous item would also be welcomed.

Best regards, Robert V. Lux

The Mayor

The Mayor: Re: standard deviation and parameters

> Well, I got no replies on my previous
    > question.

Patience. Many will be happy to answer, I am sure.

>I have got two questions.

> 1) What does standard deviation mean?

Let me quote you from your previous question:

"First of all I have to say that your books, mr Schlesinger and Wong, are excellent. They have provided me with very much interesting information."

How could you begin to understand these books if you don't know the answer to 1)? At any rate, there are enough books on statistics, courses on statistics, and internet web sites, that actually give detailed descriptions of SD and its uses, that I hardly think it will be repeated here. Try, for example (I used Google to find this)

http://cne.gmu.edu/modules/dau/stat/...cepts_frm.html

> 2) What does single and multiparameter
    > mean?

If you are keeping a single running count, e.g. Hi-Lo, this is single-parameter. If you are, in addition, keeping track of other things, like Aces, in a side count, you are using a multiparameter system.

--Mayor

Fred Renzey

Fred Renzey: Re: standard deviation and parameters

In answer to:
    > 1) What does standard deviation mean?
    > 2) What does single and multiparameter
    > mean?

In everyday language, Standard Deviation is a mathematical method of determining how likely you are to incur an actual result that is different from the correct expected result by any amount you wish to calculate. In gambling parlance, it is analogous to the "Luck Factor".

Single parameter card counting systems keep track of just two categories of cards - high vs. low. Their single running count indicates the degree to which one category outnumbers the other.

Multiparameter card counting systems do the above, as well as keep separate track of some other particular card or cards to gain more precise information.