Thread: CoVa: BJ in Vegas - rider bets

CoVa

CoVa: BJ in Vegas - rider bets

on my recent and first visit to LV I was surprised that betting on another players box is not common. Usually at the appropriate count, I spread my bet to another players box in the belief that this was a better option than opening and aditional box.

In the uk this is very common play and surely is a more profitable strategy?

Even when playing at a table with other counters, especially at Bellagio, my fellow players looked very miffed when I placed a bet on their box.

Given that overall play in the US is much better than in the UK I would have thought that not opening additional boxes at high countsboxes would be almost like a basic strategy play.

Fantastic city, geat bj!

CoVa

Neko

Neko: Re: BJ in Vegas - rider bets

Rider bets in LV are not only uncommon, they are not understood at all by the vast majority of bj players. As you found out, some people resent this intrusion in their "space". Also, there is a good chance that the player on whose bet you placed your chips will keep not only the winnings, but your chips as well. This would not be maliciousness on his part, but a simple lack of understanding of what is going on and what he is supposed to do with the winnings and your bet. I have seen this behavior when someone did not have enough chips to double down with, another player tossed him the double down chips, he won, and kept everything! Or sometimes the winner would keep all the winnings and return the double down sum to the other player. This is why I refrain from this type of play. Not worth the chance of my bet or winnings not being returned, not worth the resulting hassle, and not worth the attention it draws on me from the pit.

Neko

Shark

Shark: Re: BJ in Vegas - rider bets

Back betting is common in Europe and it takes the heat off you. In the US the opposite is the case.When tables are not full it is always preferable to open another box even considering the eating of extra cards in positive count. When tables are full and you are in Europe you can back bet a player who is at least a basic strategist. Shark

CoVa

CoVa: thanks for the responses(nt) *NT*