Thread: Viktor Nacht: Quoted Replies & HTML

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Quoted Replies & HTML

The indented text (with all the >s) that is pre-entered into the Message box is just a quoted reply that you can erase (Control-A Delete or Apple-A Delete) or use to illustrate your post.

It's just like replying to an email and inject text between thoughts and paragraphs.

It's a pretty nice feature, but if enough people don't like it or are confused by it I can deactivate it.

I'm not yet comfortable allowing HTML in posts. I have some concerns I'll be looking into over the near term.

V

In Hiding

In Hiding: Re: HTML

Well, your Control-A Delete works. BUT how many people are going to know that as the site goes on unless you put the instruction up every few days? I wouldn't know had I not visited this particular day. Being an admitted computer idiot that's not a rhetorical comment - but perhaps the majority of folks know more about using this stuff than I.

On the same note: If you allow HTML, wouldn't only those who know how to use it be prone to do so? (Personally, that I can even discuss terms like HTML - and have learned how to use the basics - amazes me.) :-)

Just some more thoughts for you.

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: HTML on, Quoted Replies off

Now that we have more control over abusive posts, I've reactivated HTML in posts, and turned off quote replies.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: HTML on, Quoted Replies off

Wonderful job, Viktor. Congratulations. This board has become the standard that all others ought to follow.

Don

In Hiding

In Hiding: Agree with Don

Good job.

Sounds like a lot of extra effort, but then, I guess unruly children have always caused somebody a lot of work. Maybe it's a good thing it all happened at the very beginning of the new format.

Congratulations on having chosen a professional solution above commercial interests.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Agree with Don

"Congratulations on having chosen a professional solution above commercial interests."

Wouldn't it be nice if others would follow?? Hint, hint.

Don

T-Hopper

T-Hopper: Add a button to insert quoted text(nt) *NT*

In Hiding

In Hiding: Re: Add a button to insert quoted text(nt)

I'm certainly not the resident computer whiz, but I think it either has to be left so we can keep and erase selected portions - OR - presented as a blank page and we're back to good old cut 'n paste. I think the only single function buttons are "cut" and "paste".

I'm looking forward to being wrong about this. :-)

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Quote Replies Re-enabled

I re-enabled quoted replies. Adding a button would take time I don't have right now, and I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to expect people to know how to edit text inside a box.

V