Thread: Mr Pro: Discards

Mr Pro

Mr Pro: Discards

Hi there,

I've come across anumber of games abroad where the discard pile is either hidden from view by a plastic cover or there isn't one i.e they are put down a hole.

has anyone come accross this prectice before and if so how do you estimate the number of decks remaining to be played?

Many thanks

Mr. Pro

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Discards

> has anyone come accross this prectice before
    > and if so how do you estimate the number of
    > decks remaining to be played?

There used to be several places in Las Vegas that used the plastic covers. They aren't completely opaque, but, admittedly, they're a pain in the neck. I've never seen the cards taken completely out of view, such as putting them in a hole.

The average hand uses 2.7 cards. So, suppose you're playing with, say, three other players. When you add your hand and the dealer's, that's an average of 5 x 2.7 = 13.5 cards used per round. Every two rounds (27 cards) uses almost one-half deck!

So, you count rounds. I understand that this is only an estimate, as rounds will, of course, use more or fewer cards, on occasion. But, you certainly won't be off by very much, and you don't need perfect accuracy in any case.

Obviously, with other numbers of players at the table, you need to make whatever adjustments are necessary for the numbers to come out correctly.

Hope this helps.

Don