Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's heat look/feel like?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What's heat look/feel like?

Of course the tell-tail sign, arms crossed, getting the glare, etc. Or the critter coming over and starts talking to you "randomly" when you have a max bet out....etc. Or just the PC watching a few hands.

But what about not-so-obvious situations? Because either I'm oblivious to subtle heat or my game isn't strong enough(?) to generate heat (plus, I keep sessions fairly short with a small spread). I don't really know what I'm talking about so if anything's sensitive or whatever, message me.?
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Banned or Suspended

It sounds like you wanna be barred,,if so play the DD at Firekeepers

Ouchez

Sometimes when you get absolutely no attention from the pit, e.g., when it's not crowded and you don't get even the normal friendly conversation to make a customer feel welcome, it's a sign that the pit is letting the EITS do all the work.

Sometimes, it's hard to tell if it's true "heat" when a critter stands/sits next to you and tries to chat you up. Sometimes, they're bored and will talk to anyone that appears receptive. Be cautious when they talk to you a lot after you've played for a few rounds, but don't be alarmed if they are talkative from the moment you sit at the table. Your demeanor when you first approach/play can set the tone for the session, so don't come off as "I'm here to get the money out." Plops are there to have fun and generally enjoy exchanging pleasantries with a friendly critter. They're supposed to be all about customer service, so when they see you increase your bet, one of the first things they think is "how do I keep this person playing for as long as possible?" Don't always assume they think you're an AP. This is where your comportment pays off

If the phone rings and they pick it up, I generally wouldn't be too worried --- it could be other employees calling, a host, manager, etc. If you're playing in an empty pit or a high limit table, the EITS is more actively watching, so a phone call down COULD be about you. Just keep an eye on the critter's demeanor. Also, if they pick up the phone, dial out and glance over your way, be cautious.

As you mentioned, short sessions are important as it limits their tracking ability (unless they're on you as soon as you buy-in, of course). Play unrated if possible.

There are a lot of variables. Just be smart and don't take anything for granted.
    You don't score, until you SCORE!

Experience will tell you
    Think unfriendly attention
    Probably not much should be said on this issue

Learn to read people.

They take their clips boards and rattle them on the edge of the table for a minute or so, then randomly thereafter with hard stares. Aka Palace in Gt Yarmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Ouchez View Post
    It sounds like you wanna be barred,,

Ouchez
    What makes you think that? I certainly don't want to get barred.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackomaha View Post
    Sometimes, it's hard to tell if it's true "heat" when a critter stands/sits next to you and tries to chat you up. Sometimes, they're bored and will talk to anyone that appears receptive. Be cautious when they talk to you a lot after you've played for a few rounds, but don't be alarmed if they are talkative from the moment you sit at the table. Your demeanor when you first approach/play can set the tone for the session, so don't come off as "I'm here to get the money out." Plops are there to have fun and generally enjoy exchanging pleasantries with a friendly critter. They're supposed to be all about customer service, so when they see you increase your bet, one of the first things they think is "how do I keep this person playing for as long as possible?" Don't always assume they think you're an AP. This is where your comportment pays off

If the phone rings and they pick it up, I generally wouldn't be too worried --- it could be other employees calling, a host, manager, etc. If you're playing in an empty pit or a high limit table, the EITS is more actively watching, so a phone call down COULD be about you. Just keep an eye on the critter's demeanor. Also, if they pick up the phone, dial out and glance over your way, be cautious.

As you mentioned, short sessions are important as it limits their tracking ability (unless they're on you as soon as you buy-in, of course). Play unrated if possible.

There are a lot of variables. Just be smart and don't take anything for granted.
    Yeah, I'm usually not worried if they're on the phone or whatever, unless they've been giving me some looks, especially right before/after their phone call...and on how big I've spread already.

Quote Originally Posted by essexboy View Post
    They take their clips boards and rattle them on the edge of the table for a minute or so, then randomly thereafter with hard stares. Aka Palace in Gt Yarmouth
    Interesting.

I've noticed PB's typically have a clipboard. Should I be worried if they're taking notes at my table? It's kind of hard to tell, but I think they also take notes at other tables, too. I'm assuming this generally has to do with refilling the tray with chips? Or should I worry when I see PB's with clipboards and taking notes? Around here, they all have clipboards, or so it seems. In other places of the country, none of the PBs have clipboards.

I've definitely gotten better at reading the critters, but sometimes it's difficult given the layout of the pit. =\
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStoned View Post

I've noticed PB's typically have a clipboard. Should I be worried if they're taking notes at my table?

\
    I'm concerned if they're staring at my chips in the circle and recording numbers, which is sometimes followed by a call upstairs, but not when they're clearly looking at the tray and writing. You might want to keep your eye on them without making any eye contact.

There's so much that goes into this. You have to know WHO is looking at you, WHY, WHAT you have been doing, etc. A floor person coming over when you first sit down and watching the first few hands means nothing. A shift manager doing the same is red alert. A security director (they wear blazers and often carry radios)coming out of nowhere could mean major heat. Or, he could just be bored, wandering around.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouchez View Post
    It sounds like you wanna be barred,,if so play the DD at Firekeepers

Ouchez
    Absolutely...not quite as quick as Green Valley Ranch though.

Quote Originally Posted by 21gunsalute View Post
    Absolutely...not quite as quick as Green Valley Ranch though.
    Can you elaborate some more about your experience with GVR tolerance?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alexost View Post
    Can you elaborate some more about your experience with GVR tolerance?

Thanks!
    Got backed off DD after sitting there for about 20 minutes. I was up $100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast