Thread: Use of game coupons (comps?)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Use of game coupons (comps?)

Hello there!

In the chain I normally play we get points (issued in money actually) for playing according to the time you play and the estimated average bet you are putting out. Currently I have US$1.300 and I want to use them in game.

I can cash coupons to bet on the table (going from $20 to $100) so my question is, when should I use them? When the count is high or low? A

- A little catch is that the coupons on the table don't allow surrender, and this is a game with ES so it's the most valuable rule.

- When the count is low I mean TC +0 or +1. I normally don't play lower counts unless I am the only player and there's only one table open.

- Minimum bet on the tables is $20. Maximum is $400, so when I mean using them on high counts I don't mean TC+4 or more where I would be putting $400 on the table. I mean when the count would demand a $100 bet

Thanks in advance for your kind advice!

"Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

This is the best advice on the subject, as the exact answer depends on the exact rules in place regarding the forfeiture upon loss/push/etc.

Blackjack itself isn't usually the best use of any type of coupon.
    "One of these days in your travels, you are going to come across a guy with a nice brand new deck of cards, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not take this bet, for if you do, as sure as you are standing there, you are going to end up with an ear full of cider."

Thanks to both of you on your help. I'll study the thread and the document linked and will get back here.

In the meantime I can tell you the coupons are only usable on BJ, Caribbean and Draw Poker (in the Ante, the Bet has to be chips)

I read the document linked, it provides good recommendations on rule variations when playing the coupons in BJ. As I mentioned before and checking the document analysis, BJ is the best game I can use the coupons ("funny chips", the way he labels my specific kind of coupon).

However the original question stands... would it be more convenient to play them at higher counts or lower counts? Considering than the Early Surrender rule is not available when playing a Coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodboy View Post
    However the original question stands... would it be more convenient to play them at higher counts or lower counts? Considering than the Early Surrender rule is not available when playing a Coupon.
    If the count is high, you have a +EV wager, when presented with a +EV wager, you should bet $$$$, not coupons. With ES you may be playing an advantage off the top, in which case you shouldn't use the coupon in neutral counts either.
    "One of these days in your travels, you are going to come across a guy with a nice brand new deck of cards, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not take this bet, for if you do, as sure as you are standing there, you are going to end up with an ear full of cider."

Banned or Suspended

Early Surrender, if it excludes hands where the dealer has an Ace showing

is obviously better than Late Surrender as the dealer's face card up is linked

to an ACE down once in every 13 hands on average. SOME of those you will

NOT surrender of course, and you only save 1/2 of a bet.

but this all tangential.

I always use the Match Play coupons off the top

mumbling words akin to " ... Lets just get rid of these silly coupons."

If you wait until you reach your Max Bet

(ordinarily set as a True Count conferring a 2% advantage)

then waiting will confer a difference between the House Edge and that 2% edge.

Lets call that figure 1.5%.

So if you have a $10 "free bet" or "match play" then instead of its initial value of $10 minus the House Edge

waiting until your Max Bet is reached your gain in E.V. will be 15¢.

By betting them "off the top" the pit critter clocking your game knows just enough for her/him to imagine that

it is worthwhile for the Card Counter to wait until an optimal point as to take advantage of the e.v. of the coupon.

L.O.L. For 15¢ you can "advertise" that you are just another silly ploppy;

as opposed to your potentially "outing" yourself as an A. P. wannabee.

Actually, you will do best of all betting it on the "Bank" at mini-baccarat

since that bet wins well over 50.0%
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 05-26-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

L.O.L. For 15¢ you can "advertise" that you are just another silly ploppy;
    as opposed to your potentially "outing" yourself as an A. P. wannabee.

Now that you mention this and this could theme for another thread, I should point out that where I play the pit bosses KNOW about me and at least 5 or 6 other frequent AP players. Some of them joke about it once in a while... and there's no worse cuts, no extra pressure when I or the other APs play. Funny right? I guess they believe we'll end up losing anyway, since some days we lose.... what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post
    Actually, you will do best of all betting it on the "Bank" at mini-baccarat
    since that bet wins well over 50.0%
    I can't use it on Baccarat or mini-baccarat. Only Blackjack, Caribbean Stud (in the Ante), and Draw Poker (Carribbean Draw Poker I believe it is). So blackjack is my best choice.

Thanks for the advice!