Thread: New to Blackjack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

New to Blackjack

Hey everyone, I found this site from Google while looking for a forum to ask this question. I recently became interested in Blackjack and read the K-O counting book. My plan is to memorize basic strategy (which I've pretty much gotten down but want to confirm something before I move on), followed by memorizing the main 18 exceptions to basic strategy, then practice counting through decks on my own, then practice counting down pairs of cards, and then playing with a simulator before betting actual money. Regarding basic strategy, why is it that different basic strategy cards offer different "best plays" for identical rules? For example, I've been memorizing the 6 deck, S17, DOA, DAS, late surrender, dealer peeks rule set. I have found charts that differ on these exact rule sets (the main one I've been using is the one from blackjackinfo). Some of the differences include surrender (or hit if you can't) vs surrender (or stand if you can't) on hard 16 vs dealer 10. Another difference is split vs hit on 6,6 vs dealer 2. What are the correct plays here before taking into account the count and does it really matter?

Another thing I've been wondering is what the player advantage of "wonging" in is? I've heard that the overall player advantage of counting is around 2%, but are there any reasonably accurate estimates of that advantage if you remove playing bad hands and "wong" in and out when the deck is good enough? Assuming you only plan to play in this way, whats a good bankroll if you always bet "1 unit" when the deck is always positive?

Thanks in advance.

Your bankroll is less important when you are just playing in +EV situations. If you're playing recreationally then even a few thousand is enough to be able wong in for $10 or so. If you want to make some money then you'll need to commit significantly more capital but starting off small is a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
    Your bankroll is less important when you are just playing in +EV situations. If you're playing recreationally then even a few thousand is enough to be able wong in for $10 or so. If you want to make some money then you'll need to commit significantly more capital but starting off small is a good idea...
    Well put you can start small , game selection back counting and Wong outs are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    BR considerations are still important.
    Definitely. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I meant, more precisely, is that when you're only playing in +EV situations, table minimums aren't usually prohibitive for a small bankroll - you should still bet an amount proportional to your edge, bankroll and chosen level of risk. It just means that your large bets are close to the table minimum rather than your small bets!