See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Min BR to Turn Pro?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by itrack View Post
    ....and I still don't have a job
    Good work - cheers to that!

For those that are recommending minimum levels to go pro, would you mind also mentioning your Kelly fraction (or RoR) that goes with that figure? Interested to see how much risk people are taking when it's your entire net worth on the line...

Thanks,
    Hypno.

Quote Originally Posted by RWM View Post
    Beyond counting refers to anything beyond counting. Shuffle tracking is just one of many techniques with a larger edge than counting cards.
    looking at your site I read an article that seems to indicate there aren't many opportunities to find trackable shuffles....or enough games to Ace sequence

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKinG View Post
    30k minimum, if you have no real expenses and live at home, etc.
    That's my bio.

Quote Originally Posted by roliin View Post
    looking at your site I read an article that seems to indicate there aren't many opportunities to find trackable shuffles....or enough games to Ace sequence
    That is my experience in the US. There are players who play against shuffles that I never would. I think this often leads to many mistakes and at times players are playing negative ev when they think they have a large edge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
    For those that are recommending minimum levels to go pro, would you mind also mentioning your Kelly fraction (or RoR) that goes with that figure? Interested to see how much risk people are taking when it's your entire net worth on the line...

Thanks,
    Hypno.
    Professional poker requires about one-third the bankroll of a pro blackjack player. I have uncovered an Omaha game where many of the players are clueless and it allows me to play blackjack only as a diversion, not a serious money making enterprise. Soft games abound in poker but virtually never in blackjack and pros need soft games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Soft games abound in poker but virtually never in blackjack....
    OK, you're clearly talking about counting. Hint, hint.

Professional poker requires about one-third the bankroll of a pro blackjack player.
    A sweeping generalization! Very clearly, for both blackjack and poker, the bankroll requirement is going to depend upon the stakes for which you're playing. The original poster asked about the minimum requirement to turn pro at blackjack. Many of us responded to that inquiry, but it doesn't mean that bigger wouldn't be better, in that it would give the player the ability to play at higher stakes, should the opportunity arise. The big game at the Bellagio poker room has offered extraordinary opportunities at times, but they have required a massive bankroll.

If your intention is to compare bankroll requirements to achieve comparable hourly expectations at poker and counting at blackjack, you may be right.

[P]ros need soft games.
    Agreed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234