See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Doubling A9

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Doubling A9

How does everyone feel about doubling A9 vs. 5 or 6 when the count warrants it? Is it a dead giveaway? Or are there any good ways to get away with it? Thanks.
    -jjjggg

Smoother than splitting 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartpart View Post
    Smoother than splitting 10s.
    Haha, that is certainly true!

I don't hold back on soft doubles when the count justifies it but I don't split tens. Soft hands seem a little mysterious to most (non-AP) players so there's plenty of scope for playing them without looking too skilful. Unless you're betting heavily, I would not worry about making this particular play.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
    Unless you're betting heavily, I would not worry about making this particular play.
    Wouldn't you likely have your max bet out when you make this double? Seems like it would be a dead giveaway. In my experience, the dealer calls out the play some of the time, so you might convince a ploppy you're a gambler, but the pit would raise a flag.

Somewhat attention getting but not particularly heaty. I prefer to use a higher risk averse index to make this play (similar to splitting 10-10). I don't split 10-10 ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermediate View Post
    Wouldn't you likely have your max bet out when you make this double?
    Yes, but some AP's max bets aren't heavy! What I mean is, if you're counting at small or medium stakes then I wouldn't worry too much about this move. If you're betting purple then maybe you'd think a little harder about how much attention it gets. Obviously depends on how sweaty the joint is, whether it's a home game etc. But generally I would say just go for it and make as much money as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I do it every time it is called for and usually win. Any comments are met with, it's a 10 right. You always double 10 v 5 or 6.
    Great comeback. I am so stealing this...

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyNewbie View Post
    Great comeback. I am so stealing this...
    You won't be the first
    Let me die in my sleep like my Grandfather.
    Not screaming in agony like his passengers.

^ I once used that excuse to double A9 on a D10-11 only game (single deck)... I said you allow doubling a ten and I see this as a ten. They let me.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjggg View Post
    How does everyone feel about doubling A9 vs. 5 or 6 when the count warrants it? Is it a dead giveaway? Or are there any good ways to get away with it? Thanks.
    Follow your index plays for whatever count you use for doubling A9 vs 5 or 6.

Is it a dead giveaway?

To answer this question allow me to tell a story. I was playing in the Trump Plaza in AC one night with five player in a six deck blackjack game. I was sitting in the second to the last seat in the table. Then a guy that is drunk walk to the left and told the last seat. So the dealer start dealing hand. In about couple of rounds later the game who is drink put $300 on the table. Then he receive two K,K making his card a total of 20. He did the unexpected and double on that K,K. People on the table told him not to do it but he did it anyways. The dealer gave him a card. The card turn out to be an A.

What I am saying is that doubling on A9 vs 5 or 6 will be view to an average player as you are an idiot. So it is not a dead giveaway if you can pretend to other people that you don't know what you are doing.

Deviation:

For Hi-lo Count double A9 vs 5 at TC >= 5. Double A9 vs 6 at TC >= 4.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 05-09-2013 at 08:46 PM.