Thread: Variance in Blackjack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Variance in Blackjack

How do I calculate the variance in blackjack? Are there any software that can help me calculate the variance?

Yes, CVData and CVCX will calculate the variance.

For typical rules, the variance per round is about 1.33 square units. However, if you spread your bets, the overall variance will be much higher.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    Yes, CVData and CVCX will calculate the variance.

For typical rules, the variance per round is about 1.33 square units. However, if you spread your bets, the overall variance will be much higher.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    What is the standard variance in a six deck blackjack game?

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    How do I calculate the variance in blackjack? Are there any software that can help me calculate the variance?
    As it is the case with expectation value calculations, you can compute variance using a BJ simulator such as CVCX and CVData, or compute it using combinatorial analysis (CA). Including a betting strategy will make it very difficult and computationally expensive to compute variance using a CA. A BJ simulator would be simpler and much faster in this case.

As far as the calculation itself, in order to compute the variance, you will need to know the probability of every possible outcome of a round (winning one unit, 2 units, losing 1 unit ..), once these are computed, calculating the standard deviation (sqrt of variance) is easily calculated using the following equation.

You can read more about this and download my CA at this link http://code.google.com/p/blackjack-c...rial-analyzer/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    There is a way to get a good guess.

For an Equivalent Kelly Bankroll (EKB) ie 13.6% ROR, the standard deviation is EKB/sqrt(N0) per round. For 100 rounds, multiply this by 10.

For a SCORE type calculation, it can be shown that the SD per 100 rounds corresponding to a w/r of SCORE is (EKB=$10000)

SD = 100 x sqrt(SCORE).

So for a SCORE of $60, that is $60 per 100 rounds, the SD = $774 per 100 rounds. you have 67% chance of being $60 +/- $774 .

Brh.