View Poll Results: Should we display a list of members that have read a thread?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 20.34%
  • No

44 74.58%
  • I can't read

3 5.08%

Thread: Who has read a thread

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Who has read a thread

The next release of Vbulletin has a feature which allows members to see who has read each thread. This might raise privacy concerns. So, a poll.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

What would it show if I clicked on to a lengthy thread and read only one post?

Blog Entries

It would show that you read the thread.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

It would show I read 90% of the threads but I just skim the first or second post to see what its about and where it's going.
    I voted no knowing who read your post is cool but not helpful just my 2.17 cent worth of thought

If we hit "mark forums read" would it then say we read a thread we didn't?

Blog Entries

No.

How would this be at all useful? I'm sorry, I just don't see it. (For neither good nor bad....although some might like their privacy?) What about the list at the top of each thread that says "This thread is being viewed by RollingStoned, Norm, Tthree, and 4 guests." thing? That could be useful. Then for those who want privacy they can log in as "hidden" or whatever.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blog Entries

We are using "social" software. It is designed for maximum social contact. That is not always desirable for this particular subject area. Fortunately, VB is extremely configurable. And, where it is not configurable, the majority of the source can be modified -- despite the claims that it is not open source. Thus, we can do pretty much what the membership wants, within the bounds of manageability.

I turned off the "currently viewed by" feature long ago. It may be of value. Again, it is up to the membership.

I'd rather know who posted.Don't care who read it.
    Beware the fury of a patient man.

I don't respond to polls where the user chooses to display how everyone voted. I would not participate on a site that shows what I read.

Blog Entries

Which is why I, thus far, I have always turned off the public option on my polls.

I am sensing a trend.

No I don't like the idea. Didn't like the feature in the old forum where you could see what sub-forums a member just visited.