See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Are you sure?" says the dealer

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

"Are you sure?" says the dealer

It's not all that uncommon for a dealer to ask for confirmation if a player is making an unusual decision.

e.g. if some numpty is standing on 11, the dealer might say "You are sitting on 11?" and the numpty will either change his mind or stick to his guns.

But sometimes this has happened to me when adhering to basic strategy. ie infinite-shoe strategy.

It's kind of unwelcome but it also makes me wonder what is going on.

e.g. Dealer has a 9, I have A7, I hit. Basic strategy.

Dealer says, "You're hitting on 18? Are you sure?"

All I can think is that:

a) the dealer doesn't actually know basic strategy.
    b) the dealer is messing with my mind
    c) the dealer is trying to discourage players from using even optimal non-counting strategy.

You had this kind of thing happen?

With a) You are right, the dealer does not know BS.
    b) the dealer is not smart enough to mess with your mind
    c) the dealer doesn't know any better and thinks a soft 18 is good against his 9.

This happens a lot so be prepared with your answer. Say "I'm gonna try my luck" and see how it goes.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    First, most dealers don't have a clue what is going on in their world. They wouldn't spot a circus train in the pit. However, as they watch people play they pick up a few rudiments of the game, as long as that doesn't interfere with their breaks. A few of them actually learn a little bit about the game, but those are very few, and they usually become BJ junkies, playing in other nearby joints until thy go broke and go back home. Most of they can't count a 3-card hand when they start dealing and within six weeks are giving advice or correcting players. It's funny when Slacker says they don't know BS meaning Basic Strategy but in truth that stands for Bull S&^%, and they don't know either. One of my treasures was telling a player as I walked up "The book says" I stopped him and asked him which book he was quoting and he came back with "The blackjack book from the movie." I still chuckle over that one. If only we could teach the orangutan to say "Insurance?" we could get rid of these guys. Just tell him you read a different book than he did.

Thanks, all.

They frequently pass me when I have soft 18 and I have to point it out so many times to those dealers
    Heh. I guess this indicates that hardly any of their customers know basic strategy either, which I suppose is good news...

We could start a thread on the nonsense that dealers spew. Be consistent, 10 follows 10, dealer wins the first hand etc. Most mean well but consider who they learn playing strategy from. Ploppies!

It's definitely A. They don't know BS. In their defense, they're honestly trying to help you, but don't know they're wrong. I just say, "yes, hit, thanks." The more you can be matter-of-fact about it, then later on, the more you can be matter-of-fact when you double 10 vs A or other index plays.
    "There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

I love winning an insurance bet at +3 and being told "no no no honey insurance is a sucker's bet, eyeryone knows that." Then I look like a swami the few times I will win the bet.

It's a bet for suckers what like ~90 percent of the time. Best bet your bottom dollar if it's the right play (and I know that) I'm going to make it.

The dealer's trying to help; it's a kindness. And sometimes, if one's worn out, or not paying attention, the table advice can save even the
    expert from a big error.

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    The dealer's trying to help; it's a kindness. And sometimes, if one's worn out, or not paying attention, the table advice can save even the
    expert from a big error.
    Roscoe,

I have to agree with you, very astute observation.

I would also like to say that as players we can also be very entertained at the table, by the chit chat going on around us and the utter ignorance we see, don't be put off by any of it, just enjoy the human condition.

Best,
    Ouchez

Quote Originally Posted by happyjack21 View Post
    I love winning an insurance bet at +3 and being told "no no no honey insurance is a sucker's bet, eyeryone knows that." Then I look like a swami the few times I will win the bet.

It's a bet for suckers what like ~90 percent of the time. Best bet your bottom dollar if it's the right play (and I know that) I'm going to make it.

Ever notice the people telling you this are the same people who have 2 chips in the betting circle but 3 chips on the side bet?

How funny it is that their sucker-bet expertise could be so spotty...
    "I did it for me..... I liked it. I was good at it...and I was...really...I was alive..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ouchez View Post
    Roscoe,

I have to agree with you, very astute observation.

I would also like to say that as players we can also be very entertained at the table, by the chit chat going on around us and the utter ignorance we see, don't be put off by any of it, just enjoy the human condition.

Best,
    Ouchez
    I have to agree with Roscoe and Ouchez here as well. BJ dealers for the most part learn this game from the players. I would venture to say 99 out of 100 players are not perfect basic strategy players and to them S18 is a "good" hand. The dealers in these situations are usually just trying to help and yes sometimes "we" need their help too! I know I've been caught from time to time by a dealer making a bad move and been grateful that the dealer pointed it out. The rest of the time I find it humorous. Lighten up and enjoy life, it is indeed too short...JtMM
    Last edited by mathman; 04-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Mr. XYZ, Could you please step away from the table? You are no longer welcome to play Blackjack. You are too talented of a player. You can play Craps, Slots or any other game but you cannot play Blackjack.

Yes Ive had this happen to me and more ! S18 is the fav. I was playing in Southend went from £2 to £18 won then £18 again and it won (21) dealer goes thats well played what are they thinking of. Ive only ever seen ONE yes ONE floor manager that became aware that I was counting, other players play using BS to a minor extent.

I would love it if they correct me for hit A/7 vs 9-10 . I would rather the dealers think like that than having them pointing out i made a few good insurance bet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast