Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other players skill?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Other players skill?

What is everyone's thoughts on playing with players who dont know basic strategy? Sometimes theres only a few spots open and you can clearly tell they don't know what theyre doing. Some say they don't effect your cards because youre only betting big when the counts in your favor. But when the player is continuously taking the dealers ten and the dealer keeps making their hand because of it, they are effecting your cards. Personally this is what stops me from playing at lower stakes tables (others lack of knowledge of basic strategy) however playing at higher limits im def. over betting for my bankroll. Thoughts?

It may seem like other players "take the wrong cards" but in the long run, their plays don't matter. You don't know whether or not they will save or ruin any given hand. It is more important for you to make zero mistakes. Now, one thing that could affect your game is the speed at which the plops play. Seek out a table that maximizes the hands/hour while providing the best conditions your BR can support.
    You don't score, until you SCORE!

the only thing bad about playing low limits is that sometimes you get idiots that don't know how to play and think forever about what to do with a 13 vs a 9. but they're playing decisions have absolutely 0 impact on you in the long run. they are just as likely to help you as hurt you.
    big dog in charge

Other players have no effect on your outcome unless they are wonging in at high counts and eating good cards. I only worry about wongers. (low and high skill)

I try to play when I can get a heads up game by playing at odd times. Other players slow the game down to the point where it's frequently not worth the time. And if you're playing SD with more than 2 others you're not likely getting good pen.

When playing with other playerrs I'd prefer the lowest skill non-BS type. Then when I make strategy departure it go un-noticed. Players that kind of know BS can be a pain in the a$$, *****ing up a storm when making a departure to BS, especially in neg counts. ( "Why did you take the dealer bust card with a 6 up" )
    Last edited by Zach Black; 04-16-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Black View Post
    Other players have no effect on your outcome unless they are wonging in at high counts and eating good cards. I only worry about wongers. (low and high skill)

I try to play when I can get a heads up game by playing at odd times. Other players slow the game down to the point where it's frequently not worth the time. And if you're playing SD with more than 2 others you're not likely getting good pen.
    When playing with other playerrs I'd prefer the lowest skill non-BS type. Then when I make strategy departure it go un-noticed. Players that kind of know BS can be a pain in the a$$, *****ing up a storm when making a departure to BS, especially in neg counts. ( "Why did you take the dealer bust card with a 6 up" )
    low skill "wongers" are just as likely to eat up bad cards as good cards too. non APs have no impact on you in any facet other than time and pen.
    Last edited by steveistheman84; 04-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    big dog in charge

I prefer heads up play. If that's not possible poor players are always welcome at my table as long as they don't slow down the game. They pay for the APs and keep the rules from worsening. They are also easily manipulated which is something I personally don't condone. To each his own.

Other players' plays have no affects on you, in the long run. There is a subtle difference, which is helpful, when playing with those who don't abide by basic strategy. This is because they tend to stay instead of hit (16 versus anything, 12v2, 12v3, and sometimes double when they shouldn't be) -- this means they are taking less cards. By other people taking less cards, then you have a higher chance of getting one extra hand, which means a little bit more penetration.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Semyon Dukach says other players have NO effect on your game. Short term, long term has no effect. Thought experiment. Say that the deck/shoe you were dealt was exactly the same - that is exact order - except that another player got an 11 and had to DD vs a dealer's 6. The player pulls a 10. Did that player "Take the dealer's bust card?"

I remember once I hit my 12v6 in a fairly negative count (it probably didn't meet the index.. =\ ). I got an 8, everyone is furious because I take the bust card. Dealer draws a card before showing under card. Dealer draws a 5, everyone is furious because they assume dealer had a 16. Dealer pulls a 5 from underneath for a total of 16, then draws something high enough to bust. Had I stayed, dealer would have gotten 19 and beaten everyone. It's funny how it's a "team game" and people will become furious before even seeing the outcome of the hand. Simply put, people want to be able to blame someone/something on their losses.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

BTW, to really get raging players hit a S18 vs 9,10, A. Holy s***. Then "YOU TOOK THE DEALER'S #%^$#^$%, etc!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    BTW, to really get raging players hit a S18 vs 9,10, A. Holy s***. Then "YOU TOOK THE DEALER'S #%^$#^$%, etc!!!"
    I agree - that one really makes people furious and sometimes dealers try to "correct" me, or even worse make the stay decision for me and start playing their hand. That drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by splitaces View Post
    I agree - that one really makes people furious and sometimes dealers try to "correct" me, or even worse make the stay decision for me and start playing their hand. That drives me crazy.
    Also, there is the splitting of 9s against 2 - 6, 8, 9; let's not forget against a 7 at TC3 and A at TC1. Some say the usual "OMG!!11!! It's such a bad play. It ruined my life!!111!!"

Players that don't know basic strategy do not bother me at all. Actually, I have never played with anyone that played perfect H17 basic strategy, not even once. Even the people that bring strategy cards have the wrong card for the game. Often it is a S17 card at a H17 game, or a single deck strategy card for a 6/8 deck game.

I hate the it when they give me strategy advice, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast