Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to be cheated when there is a clear shoe and you get to cut the deck

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I read the advise here. Went back nope no needles and the dealer eyes only looked to shoe when she wanted to pick a card too fast to read and compare the cards. I moved the shoe to place money quite a bit so no attached to table nor does it seem anything else. If some experts here wants a challenge feel free to pm me. I bet a further 1000 baht gone.

When you say the shoe is clear, are you saying the whole thing is clear plastic? And there's no brush on the front of it? Because it's definitely possible for them to be reading marked cards and then dealing seconds if the shoe is clear and there's no brush.

Do you know how to spot marked cards? There are a lot of ways to do this, and APs should know all of them. They can have an actual difference in the printing of the card, have a substance smeared on them ("daub"), have scuffs or marks along the surface or the edge. And in handheld games, they can be shaved along the edges so that certain cards can be felt with the deck hand.

Another possibility is they're using a gaffed shoe that has some kind of prism in it to read the top card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2ESqP3PDk

They also could get top card information during the shuffle and cut procedure. They can peak at the deck and memorize sections, although this is more useful for poker than trying to memorize an entire baccarat shoe. Or it's even possible they stacked it, but again this is a lot easier to do in single deck games than trying to set up a whole baccarat shoe. So I doubt this would be the issue.

Once you figure out a way for them to be getting top card information, then you just figure out if they have a way to deal the second card. It's possible to deal seconds from a regular shoe, but it's hard. An amateurish cheater is going to lift the top card with the left hand and pull the second card out with the right hand, which is pretty obvious. But a good mechanic can tuck the top card up with one finger, and partially push the lower card out with the other fingers. But it's still pretty hard to have a natural dealing motion when doing this.

They can also use a gaffed shoe that makes it easier to sort of tuck the first card up and then deal the second. You won't see any difference in the dealing motion. But, as of sources I read from many years ago, the shoes that facilitate dealing seconds are bigger than regular shoes. That may have changed in the past few decades.

Finally, in baccarat, they could have a confederate at the table posing as a player who is handling the cards and changing them around. In this case, you don't even need top card information, although it makes it a bit easier. The confederate would palm a card, combine it with the two dealt cards, then pull back one of the cards to strengthen or weaken the hand.

In any case, it would have to be a really strong advantage play for me to even consider continuing to play that game with the combination of results and conditions you described. There's a lot of ways for them to potentially be cheating, and most baccarat moves aren't strong enough to take the risk.
    The Cash Cow.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Challenge: In this very well-written, long response, find the spelling error!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post

Don
    "peek" instead of "peak"?

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post
    "peek" instead of "peak"?

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Yup. But wanted Moo to find his own mistake. Guess I didn't say that, did I?

Don

Don
    I must chastise your ineffectual commentary regarding erroneous spelling. They’re no spelling errors. There is, however, a grammatical error alluded to by CAC, as “peak”.

Spelling and grammatical usage are the cornerstone of effective communication. You are guilty of an inexcusable lapse of diligence. Fifty lashes with a wet noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post

Do you know how to spot marked cards? There are a lot of ways to do this, and APs should know all of them.

That isn't possible. The methods commonly discussed and those that you describe here are ancient, very public methods. Daub for example is something experts in the field find comically amusing (though people probably still do try it).

If cards are truly professionally marked then you just can't tell. There have been cases of marked cards being used where the marks could not be detected by forensic experts working for law enforcement after six months.

It is probably a good idea to look at the simpler forms of cheating but don't kid yourself this will protect you from everything, Fortunately most cheats suck at it.

Is there a way to counter? Like bet a big bet opposite the small one just before the card deals? Or wait for many more players to play and you bet a sum smaller than the total opposing bets so you win?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmoney View Post
    Is there a way to counter? Like bet a big bet opposite the small one just before the card deals? Or wait for many more players to play and you bet a sum smaller than the total opposing bets so you win?
    Yeah you can fade the big action and make a lot of cash.

The problem is that if the dealer is in business for himself it looks like you are colluding with him.Which means jail time. Good luck trying to explain that you are just an opportunist to local law enforcement.

"I must chastise your ineffectual commentary regarding erroneous spelling. They’re [THERE'RE or THERE ARE] no spelling errors. There is, however, a grammatical error alluded to by CAC, as 'peak.'"

No spelling errors except, apparently, when you make them. I hope this whole commentary was your (failed) attempt at humor, because if you're serious about peek/peak being a grammatical error and not a spelling error, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Don

Yup. But wanted Moo to find his own mistake. Guess I didn't say that, did I?

Don
    Sorry, I thought it was an open challenge

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

"I must chastise your ineffectual commentary regarding erroneous spelling. They’re [THERE'RE or THERE ARE] no spelling errors. There is, however, a grammatical error alluded to by CAC, as 'peak.'"

No spelling errors except, apparently, when you make them. I hope this whole commentary was your (failed) attempt at humor, because if you're serious about peek/peak being a grammatical error and not a spelling error, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Don
    Yes, it was designed as humor - however it masked the context of the obscure. Care to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Yes, it was designed as humor
    Is there a spelling error here, or are you writing American?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast