Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double UP BlackJack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Double UP BlackJack

Hello everyone,

Has anyone in this forum had the opportunity to analyze the Double Up Blackjack game?
    I would be particularly interested in comparing the EV of the game (or the House Edge)
    when the Double-Up side bet is NOT taken. The rules to consider are as follows:
    6D, H17, DOA, DAS, SPA1, SPL3, NS.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Have you looked at WOO he has a full page dedicated to this but he has the double your bet in there. Not doubling your bet will really hurt you obviously because that's the offset for the horrible ruling of pushing against a dealers 16. I could modify my CA to run the analysis but not particularly motivated lol. Changing the dealer hands combination to stand on 16 and have the dealer push all hands with a 16 except against a player's total of 21.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Quote Originally Posted by iCountNTrack View Post
    Have you looked at WOO he has a full page dedicated to this but he has the double your bet in there. Not doubling your bet will really hurt you obviously because that's the offset for the horrible ruling of pushing against a dealers 16. I could modify my CA to run the analysis but not particularly motivated lol. Changing the dealer hands combination to stand on 16 and have the dealer push all hands with a 16 except against a player's total of 21.
    Hi iCountNTrack,

Yes, I have already checked the WOO website. The issue is that analyzing this game, and without DU, I get a ridiculously high HE, around 5.8%.
    That's why I need someone to confirm if it's possible that this single dealer rule (standing on 16) could be so detrimental.
    Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Cac

Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post
    Hi iCountNTrack,

Yes, I have already checked the WOO website. The issue is that analyzing this game, and without DU, I get a ridiculously high HE, around 5.8%.
    That's why I need someone to confirm if it's possible that this single dealer rule (standing on 16) could be so detrimental.
    Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Cant answer the question mathematically - however, logic suggests that if dealer push on 22 adds close to 7% edge for dealer, then push 16 has to be worse.

Also, I don’t know the game and don’t know if push is confined to 2 card 16 or 3+ cards at 16.

Hi iCountNTrack,

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    I am not sure if you just meant Dealer standing on 16 or forgot to mention that dealer's 16 pushes all totals if the player has less than 21. That's what of course what makes it horrible. You got me, I will crunch some numbers later on!

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Cant answer the question mathematically - however, logic suggests that if dealer push on 22 adds close to 7% edge for dealer, then push 16 has to be worse.

Also, I don’t know the game and don’t know if push is confined to 2 card 16 or 3+ cards at 16.
    Here you can find all the rules:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/double-up-blackjack/

If the dealer gets 16 (hard or soft) on any number of cards, he must stand. Then, all totals under 21 tie, and the only winners are those with 21. BJs pay 1:1 in this case.
    There are some controversies in the definition of the rules. Some sites say that you cannot Double UP with 21 or with BJ. However, the Wizard of Odds apparently allows it
    after splitting a pair of aces. I don't know which rule is correct.

Sincerely,
    Cac

I am not sure if you just meant Dealer standing on 16 or forgot to mention that dealer's 16 pushes all totals if the player has less than 21. That's what of course what makes it horrible. You got me, I will crunch some numbers later on!
    Yes, I forgot to mention pushes. Check what I replied to Freightman.
    Thank you for getting involved!

Sincerely,
    Cac

Here you can find all the rules:

https://wizardofodds.com/games/double-up-blackjack/

If the dealer gets 16 (hard or soft) on any number of cards, he must stand. Then, all totals under 21 tie, and the only winners are those with 21. BJs pay 1:1 in this case.
    There are some controversies in the definition of the rules. Some sites say that you cannot Double UP with 21 or with BJ. However, the Wizard of Odds apparently allows it
    after splitting a pair of aces. I don't know which rule is correct.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Still haven’t looked up the rules but did check Wizard site
    -Push 22 -6.91% Push16 excepting player 21 is likely more. Player still goes first and is subject to busting prior to dealer resolution
    -BJ 1-1 - another -2.7%

Those 2 rules alone -9.61% and likely more

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    -BJ 1-1 - another -2.7%
    No, that's surely not true. First, when BJ pays even money, the house edge is 2.27%, not 2.7%. But that isn't the case here at all. That naturals pay 3 to 2 is clearly stated in the rules. I didn't see, when the dealer has 16 and the player has 21 that that meant naturals as well as multi-card 21s. That's the only time they would pay 1 to 1, in any event. So, that's not a big deal.

Don

The rules are still a bit unclear to me. Can you double up if you ha e a natural? And get paid even money? Meaning your EV is 200%.

I have generated dealer hands for standing on 16 (hard and soft). But need to know the exact rules to get the correct EV figures

The rules are still a bit unclear to me. Can you double up if you ha e a natural?
    No, you can't double up if you have a natural.

I have generated dealer hands for standing on 16 (hard and soft). But need to know the exact rules to get the correct EV figures
    The rules are a bit confusing. From the WoO:

11. If the dealer gets to 16 (hard or soft), then he will immediately stand. All live bets on the table, except totals of 21, shall push in this event. In other words, it acts like the Push 22 rule in some games, except applies to a dealer total of 16 instead of 22.
    12. Totals of 21 are an exception to the rule above and win against a dealer 16.

From https://www.onlineblackjackexplorer.com/news/double-up/

• After the cards are dealt, the player can act on one of the following options: Stand, Hit, Double Down, Split and Double Up.
    • Double UP Rules:
      • Double the original stake with a new, equal wager on any two card hand except for Blackjack and stand.
      • You can Double Up slit hands, including Split Aces.
      • A Double-Up pays 1:1. In case of a tie the house wins.

• 16 Push Rule: dealer’s 16, hard or soft, ends the game. All 21 totals paid 1 to 1, all other wagers push.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Cac

No, you can't double up if you have a natural.

The rules are a bit confusing. From the WoO:

11. If the dealer gets to 16 (hard or soft), then he will immediately stand. All live bets on the table, except totals of 21, shall push in this event. In other words, it acts like the Push 22 rule in some games, except applies to a dealer total of 16 instead of 22.
    12. Totals of 21 are an exception to the rule above and win against a dealer 16.

From https://www.onlineblackjackexplorer.com/news/double-up/

• After the cards are dealt, the player can act on one of the following options: Stand, Hit, Double Down, Split and Double Up.
    • Double UP Rules:
      • Double the original stake with a new, equal wager on any two card hand except for Blackjack and stand.
      • You can Double Up slit hands, including Split Aces.
      • A Double-Up pays 1:1. In case of a tie the house wins.

• 16 Push Rule: dealer’s 16, hard or soft, ends the game. All 21 totals paid 1 to 1, all other wagers push.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Thanks!
    So if the player has a 20 and the dealer is showing a 6 you can't double up and stand?

Thanks!
    So if the player has a 20 and the dealer is showing a 6 you can't double up and stand?
    With 20, you double UP against all dealer's upcards.

Sincerely,
    Cac

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast