See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Insuring BJ against T

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Insuring BJ against T

Hey. Does anybody know what the tc index would be (hilo) to insure a BJ against a T if the payout is 10:1. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bjarg View Post
    Hey. Does anybody know what the tc index would be (hilo) to insure a BJ against a T if the payout is 10:1. Thanks.
    According to my calculations, and if I didn't make any mistakes, the index for 6D should be +7.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

It's only insuring blackjack against a ten? Or can you insure anything? I'd imagine that's a moderately vulnerable side bet, especially if you side count the aces.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post
    According to my calculations, and if I didn't make any mistakes, the index for 6D should be +7.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Gracias hermano.
    Tenés un mail al que te pueda contactar?
    Creo que podemos hacer cosas juntos.
    Abrazote

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    It's only insuring blackjack against a ten? Or can you insure anything? I'd imagine that's a moderately vulnerable side bet, especially if you side count the aces.
    Thanks. You can only insure a BJ against a T.
    I understand it would be worth side counting aces, but not really interested in that added mental stress.
    Im at a place where I want to enjoy my time at the tables.
    Thanks again.

No, it wouldn't be worth it if you can only insure a blackjack.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post

Sincerely,
    Cac
    That sounds way too low to me. You're betting that the dealer has an ace in the hole, so the bet breaks even if more than 10% of the deck is aces. With a single deck, you need to remove 12 non aces in order to get to break even (4 aces out of 40 cards). With an ace neutral level 1 count, it would break even at +12. With Hi Lo, it should be even higher than that because you're only counting aces as -1, and they should be -12.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    Sorry, I just realized I misunderstood your question. You can insure any own hand against a T, not just a blackjack.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Assume n decks, x non-aces already seen excluding the 2 tens, and y aces seen excluding the player's ace.

P(dealer has ace downcard) = (4n-y-1)/(52n-x-y-3)
    P(dealer has no ace downcard) = (48n-x-2)/(52n-x-y-3)
    E(insurance|dealer has ace downcard) = 10 (paid 10 to 1 on insurance bet, push on natural 21).
    E(insurance|dealer has no ace downcard) = 0.5 (lose insurance bet, paid 3-to-2 on natural 21).
    E(no insurance|dealer has ace downcard) = 0
    E(no insurance|dealer has no ace downcard) = 1.5

E(insurance) = (4n-y-1)/(52n-x-y-3)*10 + (48n-x-2)/(52n-x-y-3)*0.5 = (64n-10y-0.5x-11)/(52n-x-y-3)

E(no insurance) = (4n-y-1)/(52n-x-y-3)*0 + (48n-x-2)/(52n-x-y-3)*1.5 = (72n-1.5x-3)/(52n-x-y-3)

We require E(insurance) > E(no insurance), so that 64n-10y-0.5x-11 > 72n-1.5x-3, or x-10y > 8+8n.

For n=1 and y=0, we have x>16, so that taking insurance is preferred after seeing 17 or more non-aces and 0 aces.
    In this case, if x=17, then E(insurance) = (64-8.5-11)/(52-17-3) = 1.390625 and E(no insurance) = (72-25.5-3)/(52-17-3) = 1.359375.
    This is a net gain in EV of 1.390625-1.359375 = 0.03125, or 3 and an eighth cents per dollar wagered.

Thus, this side bet is exploitable under the right circumstances. You may or may not consider an extra +3.125% in EV to be worth the extra effort involved in tabulating indices for different values of n, x, and y, as well as in learning the corresponding side count. Note as well that the gain in EV (defined as E(insurance)-E(no insurance)) steadily increases with increasing x, but dramatically decreases with increasing y and increasing n.

Sorry, I just realized I misunderstood your question. You can insure any own hand against a T, not just a blackjack.
    Glad to know it. In that case, the analysis I just posted can be modified to include insuring a hand other than a natural, and will most likely indicate much different indices for non-naturals compared to those needed for insuring naturals.

Alright, that's what I had interpreted. The calculated index is correct. For 1D, 2D, 4D, 6D, 8D, the indices for Hi-Lo are as follows: +5, +6, +7, +7, +7.
    But there is an issue, Hi-Lo and most existing counting systems have a very low correlation for this type of insurance (32.91% for Hi-Lo) compared
    to traditional insurance (76.01%). Instead, an Ace count correlates 100% same as a ten count correlates 100% with traditional insurance.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.