See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any questions about 6:5 blackjack?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Any questions about 6:5 blackjack?

I'm doing a study on 6:5 blackjack, and I wanted to check in with the AP community to see if you had any questions that you might want answered. So far I'm going to look at:

-Which counting systems work best on 6:5
    -SCORE for different rule sets, pen, and bet spreads
    -How seat position affects SCORE
    -How different number of players affects SCORE, particularly with "Rule of X" pen
    The Cash Cow.

Given the initial house edge is up around 1.5% you'd need to bet extremely high amounts at extremely high counts to get any real EV (assuming no hole carding) so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    I'm doing a study on 6:5 blackjack, and I wanted to check in with the AP community to see if you had any questions that you might want answered. So far I'm going to look at:

-Which counting systems work best on 6:5
    -SCORE for different rule sets, pen, and bet spreads
    -How seat position affects SCORE
    -How different number of players affects SCORE, particularly with "Rule of X" pen
    Just a quick comment. Technically, SCORE isn't affected by the last two items; hourly win rate is, which is a different metric. SCORE dictates where you sit and how many players are at the table.

Don

Are you studying variants of blackjack that offer 6:5? Free bet, double up, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by name banned View Post
    Are you studying variants of blackjack that offer 6:5? Free bet, double up, etc?
    I'd like to, but Norm's software doesn't have the capability to study several of the popular ones, like free bet.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Just a quick comment. Technically, SCORE isn't affected by the last two items; hourly win rate is, which is a different metric. SCORE dictates where you sit and how many players are at the table.

Don
    Changing the number of players can change the effective pen, which changes SCORE.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
    Given the initial house edge is up around 1.5% you'd need to bet extremely high amounts at extremely high counts to get any real EV (assuming no hole carding) so why bother?
    Not necessarily. With a large spread, a decent number of games are not only playable, but some extremely good. SCORE values over 100.

And it doesn't always require a large spread. There are a few games with a SCORE of over 100 with only a 1-6 spread.

And this is with Hi Lo. You can get a pretty big bump with stronger counts like Zen and Hi Opt II.
    The Cash Cow.

I'd like to hear more. I have avoided 6:5 like the plague but it sounds much more doable than I imagined.
    I don't use hilo but I assume you would need a count that doesn't give much or any value to the ace?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post
    I'd like to hear more. I have avoided 6:5 like the plague but it sounds much more doable than I imagined.
    I don't use hilo but I assume you would need a count that doesn't give much or any value to the ace?
    Thanks
    The best counts give a little weight to the ace. Zen is just about optimal for an ace-rendered count. Hi Opt II with surplus aces rendered +1 for betting purposes is slightly better than Zen.

But HiLo does get the money. As usual.
    The Cash Cow.

I don't use a very large spread at all for blackjack. What would the betting ramp and spread look like for a 6:5 six deck game using original zen count for example? I'm off to work right now but I'm intrigued. Thanks again for your help.

If you aren't going to use a really large spread, you'll have to back-count to beat the shoes. And the 6 deckers aren't very profitable unless they have really good pen. Unless it's below a deck cut off, it's gonna be a waste of time.

With Zen on an H17 DAS 6 decker, the game goes breakeven right around +7. So, you'll start ramping up at about +8. Here's the advantage by true count so you can come up with a bet ramp.

Zen 6d.jpg
    The Cash Cow.

If you aren't going to use a really large spread, you'll have to back-count to beat the shoes. And the 6 deckers aren't very profitable unless they have really good pen. Unless it's below a deck cut off, it's gonna be a waste of time.

With Zen on an H17 DAS 6 decker, the game goes breakeven right around +7. So, you'll start ramping up at about +8. Here's the advantage by true count so you can come up with a bet ramp.

Zen 6d.jpg
    Thanks a bunch

Changing the number of players can change the effective pen, which changes SCORE.
    I'm trying to explain that SCORE is a very specific metric that dictates how many players are at the table. If you change that number (two for SD, three for DD, and four for shoes), you don't have a SCORE anymore; you have an hourly win rate. Do you understand?

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast