See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should you smooth a betting ramp

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Try this (I’ll use numbers that I normally use) - at $25 min table, start with $50 off the top reducing to $25 at TC-2. If count remains at 0 or above, go to $100 at TC 1. use whatever ramping you can get away with thereafter - whether 1-6 or 1-8 or more depending on factors. As long as you’re not playing a shit hole, the house won’t be concerned till you hit 1-5, or 6 or more.
    So, I just ran this strategy on some random game in my town:
    -2 - $25
    0 - $50
    1 - $100
    2 - $200
    It's worth $61.23/hr, at 12.5% risk.

Now that's a spread of 8. You're playing 25 minimum spreading by 8, here is the strategy that CVCX recommends if I want to spread 25 by 8:
    0 - $25
    1 - $50
    2 - $100
    3 - $175
    4 - $200
    It's worth $51.33/hr, at 4.8% risk

I'm sure your betting strategy is better for cover, I know firsthand that one of the first tipoffs for a pit critter is always betting your smallest at the top of a shoe. But thats taking ~2.6x more risk for only ~1.2x more income.

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeStacks View Post
    So, I just ran this strategy on some random game in my town:
    -2 - $25
    0 - $50
    1 - $100
    2 - $200
    It's worth $61.23/hr, at 12.5% risk.

Now that's a spread of 8. You're playing 25 minimum spreading by 8, here is the strategy that CVCX recommends if I want to spread 25 by 8:
    0 - $25
    1 - $50
    2 - $100
    3 - $175
    4 - $200
    It's worth $51.33/hr, at 4.8% risk

I'm sure your betting strategy is better for cover, I know firsthand that one of the first tipoffs for a pit critter is always betting your smallest at the top of a shoe. But thats taking ~2.6x more risk for only ~1.2x more income.
    Your bankroll is not sufficient for the gambit. I should have asked you what your bankroll was.

Your bankroll is not sufficient for the gambit. I should have asked you what your bankroll was.
    you just said you play 25 - 200. I'm out here playing heavier than you apparently

you just said you play 25 - 200. I'm out here playing heavier than you apparently
    Possibly depending on where I’m playing and far far less than me again depending on where I’m playing. I should have clarified the DD spread on $50 min of 1-6 or 1-8 then reducing to $25 at -2 - or on occasion 1x25 to 2x500 - My ROR is 0 regardless of stakes, and I don’t play for $60 per hour. My goals are clearly different than most. Further, maximizing n0 is if no interest to me.

Again, SCORE is not the end all be all - it’s simply a means to an end to adapt one’s strategy. You have much to learn grasshopper.

I should have clarified the DD spread on $50 min of 1-6 or 1-8 then reducing to $25 at -2 - or on occasion 1x25 to 2x500 - My ROR is 0 regardless of stakes, and I don’t play for $60 per hour. My goals are clearly different than most.
    If you "reduce" to 25, then you're doubling your spread. If you play 50 - 400, and then drop down to 25 at any point at all, then you're playing 25-400. 16 spread is a little to overt for me I guess.

"I don't play for $60 an hour" do you play for significantly less or more? You said your risk is 0, or as close as possible, so either you have a many hundreds of thousands dollars bankroll, or you're playing for pennies. If you have a bankroll >$300,000, honestly blackjack is not your best option. You can take that money and invest in other, less risky, more profitable ventures.

Blog Entries

Spread is what the pit thinks is spread. With a low count, I have used non-verbal excuses to bet a half unit. Like betting just the bonus after a BJ or using some small chips to get rid of them. As for "smoothing", which I've always referred to as steaming, that may be fine. But, you should determine the damage. Of course there are players that simply bet optimally, burn joints and move on. There are many ways to play.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

If you "reduce" to 25, then you're doubling your spread. If you play 50 - 400, and then drop down to 25 at any point at all, then you're playing 25-400. 16 spread is a little to overt for me I guess.

"I don't play for $60 an hour" do you play for significantly less or more? You said your risk is 0, or as close as possible, so either you have a many hundreds of thousands dollars bankroll, or you're playing for pennies. If you have a bankroll >$300,000, honestly blackjack is not your best option. You can take that money and invest in other, less risky, more profitable ventures.
    Im beginning to regret having responded at all.
    Most of my bj roll is in the stock market - a seperate account from other assets - it’s pretty formidable. I keep (right now) a 35k float at home and a stuffed SDB - 45k I think - might be 55k. Maximizing blackjack revenue may have been on my horizon at one time - is no longer so.

I have fairly reasonably other significant assets in the markets - paid for house - paid for rental property, paid for new cars, as well as pensions and other income sources. I have no debt. I’m not concerned about my next meal, nor do I sleep in my car on bj trips.

I think you can guess that I don’t play for less than $60 per hour. Now, that being said and as I have frequently alluded to - I do have strategies easily beating computer sims.

With a low count, I have used non-verbal excuses to bet a half unit.
    Side bets, like anything else have math attached to them. In the locales I play, there are side bets that become profitable in extreme positives and negatives. Playing both side bet and main bj bet is a good way to keep the wolves away in negatives.

Other locales I frequent are tied to higher count only opportunities - a bit riskier. Keeping in mind that there’s a fair amount on my plate as it is, I bypass specialized counts in favour of coordinating with my primary count.

These side bet opportunities are ideal for couples where one can play the count while the other uses a different specialized count on the side bet signalling husband boyfriend whatever with a good jab to the ribs. I watched a couple once playing this gambit to perfection.

Much to the chagrin of 21forme, I will respond to this ridiculous comment

(and several posts later)

Im beginning to regret having responded at all.
    Told ya so...

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Told ya so...
    Ive learned my lesson

lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12