Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range of indices

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Range of indices

I was wondering what range of indices that everyone uses. I think Wong actually recommended -1 to +6. I was thinking of maybe going a little further like maybe -3 to +10. I know we need to get away from negative counts when we can but sometimes need to play some.
    Thanks

Depnds on the number of decks. If you are playing SD/DD, learn the wider range. For a shoe game, it's best to bail.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Depnds on the number of decks. If you are playing SD/DD, learn the wider range. For a shoe game, it's best to bail.
    Generally I use a Play All approach. Factors to consider on whether to bail
    - Where are you in the shoe
    - Are you travelling - are you playing stronger or weaker games
    - Are other similar tables available (not moving $50 min to $10 min)
    - Do you have the necessary arsenal of negative indices
    - Are you heads up - if not, how many spots being played
    - And others

No single parameter would necessarily apply, rather all need to be taken in context before making your best decision

Quote Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post
    I was wondering what range of indices that everyone uses. I think Wong actually recommended -1 to +6. I was thinking of maybe going a little further like maybe -3 to +10. I know we need to get away from negative counts when we can but sometimes need to play some.
    Thanks
    Depends also on your approach to the game. If for example you are using a Wong Out approach on shoes, no need to learn index below -1 or -2 and put your efforts on leraning more index on the positive side. However, if your approach is shuffle tracking, you will certainly have to play thru some negative counts and learning more index below -2 could be usefull as well as those positives to say +10.
    In a DD game which is usually a play all approach, more index are needed. For best recommendations, loook at Don Schlesinger and Dave Brolley excellent "The Hi-Lo Card Counting System: A Complete Guide to Index Play"
    G Man

Thanks folks.I try to take bathroom breaks on negative counts if they are far enough in the shoe that they're isn't much chance of recovery. Sometimes there is a really good game with great penetration and no other real options at the time. I appreciate your help.

Thanks
    I believe the answer lies not only in determining a range to study but also in knowing which indices within that range are worthwhile.
    The ideal is to study which indices contribute the most to a higher SCORE. The R22, for example, would be a good starting point.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post
    I believe the answer lies not only in determining a range to study but also in knowing which indices within that range are worthwhile.
    Cac
    This is exactly what the book by Don and Dave is doing !
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by Cacarulo View Post
    The ideal is to study which indices contribute the most to a higher SCORE. The R22, for example, would be a good starting point.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Thanks good sir. I started on your cac2 system yesterday and am looking forward to getting it mastered.

Yup. since i rarely play negative counts the only borderline indexes I use are the 16v10 and 12v4.

Thanks folks.I try to take bathroom breaks on negative counts if they are far enough in the shoe that they're isn't much chance of recovery
    How negative and how deeply cut. Some years back, another counter left the table for a bathroom break and when he came back, I had max bets on the table. The deeper you are in the shoe the more volatile the shoe becomes.

Wonging out like anything else, is an art form.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    How negative and how deeply cut. Some years back, another counter left the table for a bathroom break and when he came back, I had max bets on the table. The deeper you are in the shoe the more volatile the shoe becomes.

Wonging out like anything else, is an art form.
    I usually wait until the last 2 decks, if there seems to be any chance to recover then I hang around. I was at a 6 deck shoe last night that was dealt with one deck cutoff and no mid shoe entry so I definitely hung around if possible because 90% of the time I was playing heads up.

I usually wait until the last 2 decks, if there seems to be any chance to recover then I hang around. I was at a 6 deck shoe last night that was dealt with one deck cutoff and no mid shoe entry so I definitely hung around if possible because 90% of the time I was playing heads up.
    If you're playing a NMS game heads up and don't plan to leave, if they don't make you double your bet when you spread to two hands, that's a good way to eat cards with a minimum bet out.

Also, you make want to check out the optimal departure point (based on count and cards dealt) info in BJA3. It's probably earlier than you would expect.

If you're playing a NMS game heads up and don't plan to leave, if they don't make you double your bet when you spread to two hands, that's a good way to eat cards with a minimum bet out.

Also, you make want to check out the optimal departure point (based on count and cards dealt) info in BJA3. It's probably earlier than you would expect.
    The - if you can spread to 2 hands at min bet - is allowed - an excellent way to eat cards as 21forme says.

Freightman pro tip
    Close to end of shoe and if your play choice is hit or stand and you’re negative - hit. The faster you get to the cut card is the faster you can start a new shoe with new opportunities.

Be careful though - the closer you get to end of shoe, the more volatile the deck becomes. It doesn’t take much to create a sudden big bet opportunity.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast