Thread: Hate These 3 Days of Banks Being Closed

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hate These 3 Days of Banks Being Closed

Just finished reconciling my gaming deposits and withdrawals for the 3 day banking holiday. Over the 3 day weekend I had a total of 21 banking transactions that are just clearing the bank today. Everything checked out okay. However, over the Labor Day weekend I had an error and must have spent an hour trying to find it before it finally just popped out at me.

Normally I reconcile daily.

I've used Quicken for reconciling my finances, and printing out income and expenses by categories for tax time, since the DOS days. It makes things very simple. The second hand of my watch doesn't see the same number twice.

21for me said
    The second hand of my watch doesn't see the same number twice.
    It most certainly does - every 60 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    21for me said

It most certainly does - every 60 seconds
    You missed my point. That is, the reconciliation process takes less than 60 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    You missed my point. That is, the reconciliation process takes less than 60 seconds.
    Tou-shay!
    Vincit Qui Patitur

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Tou-shay!
    was being facetious

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I've used Quicken for reconciling my finances, and printing out income and expenses by categories for tax time, since the DOS days. It makes things very simple. The second hand of my watch doesn't see the same number twice.
    Back in my working days, part of my job was to reconcile approx 25 bank statements each month which included the general checking account. I have seen just about every error imaginable.

For my own checking account I use to reconcile it faithfully each month. I would tick mark each check in my check register each month when it cleared and go thru the complete reconciling process. Now I don't even reconcile my personal checking account any more. I just look at the banks list of transactions every few days, and make sure the transactions that are coming thru are legit. Not worried about some small transaction since there is over $50,000 in the account. I'm more concerned about some transaction not coming thru like my health insurance premium. Just about all of my bank transactions are set up for automatic payment and I'm lucky if I write one check a month.