See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter 2023-2024

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Hardly any snow so far this year. Our largest snowfall happened in Oct and very little snow since. The last storm went pretty much east of us. However, this weekend the forecast is for over a foot of snow and up to two feet by next weekend. Hopefully most of this storm might also go east of us and hit lower MI the hardest.

Forecast for parts of U.P.
    WHAT...Snow developing early this afternoon will become heavy at times late this afternoon through Saturday. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 30 inches, greatest in the high terrain from near Herman to Ishpeming and Negaunee, and lowest along the Lake Superior shore and well inland near Watton, Witch Lake and Arnold. Winds gusting as high 45 mph tonight into Saturday morning, particularly across Marquette County. * WHERE...Baraga and Marquette Counties. * WHEN...From 1 PM this afternoon to 7 PM EST Saturday. * IMPACTS...Travel will become very difficult to impossible. Widespread blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions will impact the evening commute. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Blizzard conditions are expected at times tonight through Saturday morning across Marquette County.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 01-12-2024 at 06:50 AM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Oh no! Extra warm Lake Superior will bring more lake effect snow with these cold temps and high winds.
    https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...e-effect-snow/

Weather forecast has been updated to blizzard conditions along with a couple more inches of snow.
    Marquette, MI

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions. Additional snow accumulations of 14 to 31 inches, greatest in the high terrain from near Herman to Ishpeming and Negaunee. The lowest totals will be along the Lake Superior shoreline and well inland near Watton, Witch Lake, and Arnold. Winds gusting as high as 35 to 45 mph tonight into Saturday morning, highest along the Lake Superior shoreline. * WHERE...Marquette County. * WHEN...Until 7 PM EST Saturday. * IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible, particularly closer to the Superior shoreline. Widespread blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches and result in power outages. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Blizzard conditions continue tonight through Saturday morning, then winds slowly fall back through the day Saturday. As system snowfall comes to an end Saturday, expect lake enhanced snowfall to continue the rest of Saturday into Saturday night.

Don't you just love a good ole storm!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Old man winter returns with a vengeance. I was spoiled by such a mild winter, and will have to get use to all the snow once again. The system storm is pretty much over, but now the lake effect snow is starting up which can be worse than any system storm.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Here in the Mid Atlantic East Coast, we ski addicts are yearning for snow. It was snow-mageddon 8 years ago, and now it's endless warm rain. The ski resorts are down to one long, blue run. And the ski lift lines are lengthy.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Here are some pictures and videos from our last storm.
    https://www.upmatters.com/weather/be...res-and-video/

Marquette county in the U.P. got hit the hardest with over 2 ft of snow and 6 ft snow drifts. We also got around 2 ft of snow and it isn't over yet as we are suppose to have lake effect snow all week long. I'm now having second thoughts about not having to shovel my roof this year.

Get a life. And move!

Over 50 inches of snow in less than a week. We got another 6 inches overnight and they predict at least another day of snow before there is a let up.
    https://www.keweenawcountyonline.org/snowfall-full.php

I just got back from a trip to SE Asia. Every day low temp at sunrise was 70ish and highs in the low to mid 90s, and humid. Made me think the tundra wasteland known as the UP would be a nice change.
    Last edited by 21forme; 01-19-2024 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo

Almost froze to death this past week sleeping in car. My toes were sooo cold. If I run well the next few months I'll be getting married and relaxing in Philippines

Had a pretty rough time a couple of days ago. I decided it was time to brush off the 50 inches of snow on my outside car. It was a couple of weeks since I started it last so it was also a time to start it up and let it charge up.

Okay, it was pretty cold out like 10 degrees, and after I managed to clear the door of snow I got in to start it. As I turned the key it would barely turn over. The gauges started to dance and at the last second it started. I sat in the car for 25 minutes letting it run to charge up the battery. When I turned it off, I decided to start it up again to see how well it would start. Well, it wouldn't start. Damn, now I'm going to have to get my NOCO car battery jump starter out, but I'm not sure if the thing is even charged up.

Well, first things first. It was time to brush off the car. Since the car was warmed up the 2 feet of snow would slide of the hood in huge chunks which was nice. However, then came the job of moving the snow away from the car. I got out my yooper scoop and went to work. Okay it was time to take a break. I went in to warm up and then decided to see if the car would start one more time. I didn't expect it to, but the gauges started to dance once again and it started. This time I sat in the car for 35 minutes giving it gas so the rpm would be on 2. I turned it off and didn't try to start it again. Then it snowed again. I now have another couple inches covering the car. In a few days it is suppose to warm up and will try again.

Heck, I just got a new battery for the car only about 4 years ago after 21forme said I needed one. Anyway, if you don't have a portable battery booster get one. It sure beats using jumper cables.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 01-21-2024 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I just got back from a trip to SE Asia. Every day low temp at sunrise was 70ish and highs in the low to mid 90s, and humid. Made me think the tundra wasteland known as the UP would be a nice change.
    Well, come on U.P. Instead of 70 degree temps at sunrise you will be treated to 7 degrees which is warm for this time of year since the big lake hasn't frozen yet.

Is your car in a garage (guess not if it's covered with snow), or if not, do you have an electric outlet nearby? If so, consider putting a trickle charger on it, since you drive it so infrequently. And, don't start it after charging it, if you're not going anywhere.

Thanks to the fog. It's the best snow eater ever!

After getting 60 inches of snow over a 10 day period in the middle of January, the fog came and did its thing over the last week. We now only have about a foot of snow on the ground thanks to all the fog over the last week.
    https://www.weatherbug.com/news/Fog-...o-Melting-Snow

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast