See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2023-2024

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Another record high today. It is 51 degrees right now and rain for tomorrow. Still hopeful for my first green Christmas. However still about an inch of snow on the ground. Oh well, think I will go and watch the snow melt.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Hopes for my first green Christmas are foiled once again. We got about 2 inches of snow today and everything is white once again. It is supposed to warm up later in the week so still a slight chance for a green Christmas.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Do most people there call a snowless Christmas a green Christmas? Because here in Minnesota we're getting ready for a brown Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Canceler View Post
    Do most people there call a snowless Christmas a green Christmas? Because here in Minnesota we're getting ready for a brown Christmas.
    Don't know what most folks call it because we never had a green Christmas before. However, I think the correct term is "green" Christmas.

The opposite of a white Christmas, when there is no snow and thus the ground is bare, is traditionally known as a "green Christmas", from the color of bare grass.

We are not supposed to get any more precip until Christmas. Maybe rain or snow. Don't know at this point. Only about an inch on the ground right now.

Count Down to a Green Christmas
    Four days to go and the ground is mostly white. Present temp is 36 and temps are suppose to rise over the next few days.

Three days to go and right now its pretty much 50/50. The ground is still about 50% covered in snow, but melting fast. Temp is 39. Snow is in the forecast for the day after Christmas.

A lot of folks are hurting who depend on snow for their living. No snow, no snowmobiling, no hotel stays, no restaurant eating. However, best of all I probably won't have to shovel my roof this year and can save $400.

Two days to go and the ground is pretty much snow less. A few spots of snow can still be found here and there. Temp is 43 so it looks like a green Christmas for sure.

Maybe we will now set a new record for the least snowfall in a season. The least snowfall for a winter is 81.3 inches back in 1930-1931. So far this year we are at the 25 inch mark.
    https://www.pasty.com/snow/

Merry "Green" Christmas to All From the U.P.
    Never seen anything like this in my entire life. Its 48 degrees out there right now and no snow is expected for the rest of the year.

Only thing we can do is the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance to make it snow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRi0q790DI

The Legend of Heikki Lunta
    https://www.finlandia.edu/heikinpaiv...s-with-heikki/
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 12-25-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Here is the original Heikki Lunta snow dance song along with the B side of Heikki Lunta Go Away.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ_nGTEQZHs

Okay, can we do a hat trick? We had a snowless Thanksgiving, and a snowless Christmas. Can we make the hat trick for a snowless New Year.

Right now things are looking pretty good for a green New Year also. No snow is forecast until next Wed.

Sick of the New Years Eve ball drop in Times Square where you are corralled into pens and have to pee your pants if you have to go. Well, come to the U.P. in Houghton MI for the first ever "Chook Drop." No worries about having to pee your pants, bars are only a block away.

And just to inform 21forme, as of right now there isn't a speck of snow on the ground. That could change by tomorrow. Heck, I must have at least 8 chooks.
    https://www.upmatters.com/news/local...er-chook-drop/

Did we get the hat trick? We did get a dusting of snow right before New Years, but I don't think it was enough to ruin the hat trick. I believe it has to be an inch of snow to call it white and we only got about a half an inch.

Now with no snow on the ground for insulation will everybody's pipes freeze? Something else to worry about. Heikki Lunta where are you?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvoyYFrQc5k
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 01-02-2024 at 08:19 AM.

Here is our "Green Christmas"

Christmas 12-25-23.JPG

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast