See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter 2023-2024

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    A couple weeks ago, Manhattan's Central Park had its first 1" accumulation in 701 days. Then it turned to rain and melted the snow. In my neighborhood, it snowed, but melted as soon as it hit the streets or sidewalks. Quite nice. You get to see the snow fall -- it just never lands. Little bits on rooftops, grass, and balconies.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    MTU's Winter Carnival is ruined by lack of snow, but the show must go on. Tonight is the all-nighter snow statue building. There is probably enough snow to scrap up to build a few. I still have about 8 inches on the ground in my back yard.
    https://www.upmatters.com/news/winte...-lack-of-snow/

I noticed the snowmobiles have been replaced by ATV's on the trails.

How is this for a Super Bowl prop bet! Will the snow still be dripping off my roof during the Super Bowl, or will all the snow be melted off by then, or will it be cold by then and the remaining snow freeze up again. Right now its 45 degrees out there and it's dripping pretty good off the roof.

Anyway if you don't like that one how about this? Will 21forme accompany the most traveled man in America to his first visit ever to the U.P.
    https://www.miningjournal.net/news/f...sights-on-u-p/

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    How is this for a Super Bowl prop bet! Will the snow still be dripping off my roof during the Super Bowl, or will all the snow be melted off by then, or will it be cold by then and the remaining snow freeze up again. Right now its 45 degrees out there and it's dripping pretty good off the roof.

Anyway if you don't like that one how about this? Will 21forme accompany the most traveled man in America to his first visit ever to the U.P.
    https://www.miningjournal.net/news/f...sights-on-u-p/
    @MWP
    I note the link and have absorbed the challenge to 21forme to travel to the UP with the most travelled man in America. This individual plans to immerse himself into the local culture by making pasties.

I volunteer my services to provide precise measurements of said pasties to the most travelled man. My covenant is for precision regardless of size, shape, perkiness of the exposed appendage in need of pasties. I will do so with pride, enthusiasm and gusto.

Nah, never happen. Visiting the UP is UnPhathomable. With the exception of revisiting some Nat'l Parks (in the west), there's really nothing in the US that interests me that I haven't already seen. I think the only major city in the US I haven't been to is St Louis. Zee never invited me.

Most of my travel in recent years has been international. My country total is up to 74, recently returning from SE Asia, and I will add one more by the end of the year.

MTU's 2024 snow statue results are in. Notice the very little snow left on the ground.
    https://www.mtu.edu/carnival/2024/#nav-results

First Wipe Out of This Winter
    Got up early this morning to bring out the garbage. Our nice warm weather has ended, and we have been getting a little snow over the last few days. I always check out conditions before I bring the garbage out.

Yep, you guessed it. As I was walking down the driveway I slipped on an icy spot and wiped out. I just had my pants on, my rubbers, and a tee shirt. No gloves. I knew I wouldn't be able to get up without something to hang onto so I had only two choices. I could crawl over to the outside car and grab onto the door handle and pull myself up or I could crawl over to the house and grab onto the rain gutter coming down from the roof. I decided to go the rain gutter route. It was about a 15 ft crawl, and yes the snow is cold on bare hands. Okay, the rain gutter helped me get up, and the first thing I did was run warm water over my cold hands.

Now I was ready to continue my check out of conditions. This time I noticed the neighbors dog barking very loud. Something was up. As I got down by the road in still very dark conditions I see a skunk running full speed towards me. He probably didn't see me and the dog scared him. I yelled at him and ran up that slippery driveway as fast as I could go hoping he wouldn't follow me into the garage. Heck, skunks aren't suppose to be out this time of year.

Anyway, all the east coast folks enjoy your snow today, but be careful to not slip.

The deer are back. I saw them yesterday in my yard for the first time since they left to yard up. They must think winter is over. However I still have about 5 inches of snow in my back yard.

Once again it is a winter wonder land out there, but not as bad as predicted.

Snow won't stop. The weather forecast was for it to change to rain, but hasn't yet. We must have received 10 inches of snow.

Heck, this winter will not die. The last couple weeks of March we got about two feet of snow and schools were closed for three of the days. So much snow that Mt Bohemia ski resort actually opened for three more days. Now starting tonight we are due for another winter storm. Parts of the U.P. are predicted to get up to 27 inches of snow with winds up to 45 mph. The Huron Mountains are forecast to be hit the hardest, but that is nothing new for them. Last year on May 1st they got hit with 52 inches of snow.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 04-02-2024 at 08:31 PM.

Herman MI which is not far from the Huron Mountains got hit the hardest from our recent April storm with 28 inches of snow. It doesn't measure up to the 52 inches they got last year, but its still a lot of snow. There were many power outages across the U.P. from the high winds, but fortunately for us the power stayed on.
    https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...-later-friday/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast