Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Book of Blackjack by Arnold Snyder.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The Big Book of Blackjack by Arnold Snyder.

I've read that there is information in the book (The Big Book of Blackjack) regarding counting Spanish 21 and other BJ variants, as well as attacking some popular side bets. I'm not sure when this was originally published, and was wondering if it is still considered up to date information. RIP Arnold Snyder. If anyone has useful information regarding the book that would be much appreciated. I'll probably get it regardless for the read, but will disregard the technical aspects if outdated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Northbend; 07-27-2023 at 10:54 PM.

I have the book, but haven't opened it in 15 years. For Sp21, suggest you get Kat Walker's book and ignore what's in Snyder's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Northbend View Post
    I've read that there is information in the book (The Big Book of Blackjack) regarding counting Spanish 21 and other BJ variants, as well as attacking some popular side bets. I'm not sure when this was originally published, and was wondering if it is still considered up to date information. RIP Arnold Snyder. If anyone has useful information regarding the book that would be much appreciated. I'll probably get it regardless for the read, but will disregard the technical aspects if outdated. Thank you.
    He included all side bet he could find in one chapter of this book (still a Blackjack book) and allotted one page per side bet. Not very useful to begin with. More like a hint or a starting point how to beat that side bet.

Thank you 21forme. I actually already have Walker’s book and am in the process of studying it. I was actually just curious if Arnold had anything else to add to the subject. I also just discovered that he uses a different counting system so I will take your advice and just focus on Walker’s book. Happy Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    He included all side bet he could find in one chapter of this book (still a Blackjack book) and allotted one page per side bet. Not very useful to begin with. More like a hint or a starting point how to beat that side bet.
    Gotcha! Glad I asked, thanks.

Thank you 21forme. I actually already have Walker’s book and am in the process of studying it. I was actually just curious if Arnold had anything else to add to the subject. I also just discovered that he uses a different counting system so I will take your advice and just focus on Walker’s book. Happy Friday!
    IIRC, Snyder's info on Sp21 predated Walker's, and some of Snyder's stuff contained errors in strategy. I don't recall specifics at this point.

Huh, interesting. I had assumed it was Katarina that let the cat out of the bag. Also find it interesting that there hasn’t been any further books on SP21, considering that there’s a bazillion on standard blackjack.

Huh, interesting. I had assumed it was Katarina that let the cat out of the bag. Also find it interesting that there hasn’t been any further books on SP21, considering that there’s a bazillion on standard blackjack.
    It is an old book written in the 20th century. And don't expect much information in one page.

Sp21 is not a very popular game. It seems to be everywhere in the PNW and mid-Atlantic and that's about it, with rare exception.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Sp21 is not a very popular game. It seems to be everywhere in the PNW and mid-Atlantic and that's about it, with rare exception.
    That explains it. It's absolutely everywhere in the PNW. Also super popular with the players, especially the side bets.

Thanks for the info BJGenius007.
    Last edited by Northbend; 07-28-2023 at 08:41 PM.

That explains it. It's absolutely everywhere in the PNW. Also super popular with the players, especially the side bets.
    I recall a ploppy saying to me, "Why are you playing this game if you're not going to play Match the Dealer?"

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    I recall a ploppy saying to me, "Why are you playing this game if you're not going to play Match the Dealer?"
    Ha! I remember this lady next to me asking me the same question, verbatim, and the dealer looks at her and says “I guess he doesn’t like money”. I’ve also been told that “ you don’t belong here” because I wasn’t playing the side bet. My theory is the dealers get pissed when you don’t play the side bets because that’s where they get all the tips, when the players hit them.
    Last edited by Northbend; 07-29-2023 at 09:24 AM.

And here's another one:

A Hispanic couple was sitting next to me, both playing very poorly. At one point, they looked over at my chips and one said to the other in Spanish, "He sure is lucky for a bad player..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast