See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arnold Snyder

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Sad news. The Bishop was a big influence on my development. I would have loved to have met him. I used to read every issue of Blackjack Forum voraciously the minute it showed up in the mail. Even went to the Gamblers Bookstore to dig up old copies. Also “The Blackjack Formula” was my introduction to Playing Efficiency and Betting Efficiency and the comparison of different systems, and his Beat the 2/4/6 Deck guides helped me with the math. R.I.P.

Every BJ book I have is informative in some way, but not always fun to read. BIB was both. I love reading it and always have. May you win all your DD's and get 2 to 1 blackjack in the afterlife Bish.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I learned of Arnold's passing this morning but have been out all day without the opportunity to post. I will share my thoughts with all of you tomorrow.

Don

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    I learned of Arnold's passing this morning but have been out all day without the opportunity to post. I will share my thoughts with all of you tomorrow.

Don
    Don, I can't even find the words. +1
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Very sad news for the world of BJ. The Bishop has left an unforgettable legacy. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace.

Sincerely,
    Cac

This is terrible news. I and a friend had coffee with Arnold in Blue Diamond about a year ago and he was fine then. But I heard recently that he was ill. Everyone in the blackjack/gambling world who knew him will miss him. Fortunately, his many contributions will still be with us.

Never met Arnold, but I did write a couple articles for his Blackjack Forum Magazine. I don't remember if I got paid for them or not. I believe the articles were in the Fall 2003 and Winter 2003 issues of Blackjack Forum. They had to do with blackjack in the U.P. of MI.

Rest in Peace, Arnold.

Blog Entries

just want to add my expression of sorrow at his passing
    I got a chance to talk to him a couple of times and he really helped me
    Wiki may not be the greatest source - but it has a pretty decent summary of his accomplishments - linked

arnold-snyder.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Snyder
    Please don't feed the trolls

I am very sad to hear that. Arnold had a great influence on my BJ developement. In my early days I spent quite some times using the "Beat the X deck series" and reading, then re-reading Blackbelt in Blackjack, then it was the Cookbook and so on... I still have all my Blackjack Forum copies on my shelves. We had lunch and met a couple times and every email exchange was always very friendly. I did like his imaginative way of approaching the game, something I used to build my play on.

My deepest condolences to his family, closed friends and all the BJ community.

Bish, we will miss you !
    G Man

I was shocked and saddened to hear this news. As I have mentioned before, Arnold Snyder's contribution to the game of blackjack was immeasurable. He was, indeed, one of the legends of blackjack. The last time I talked with Snyder was a few years ago at the Blackjack Ball where I encouraged him to finally publish Radical Blackjack - which he had been holding off since 2013. He will be sorely missed.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Never met Arnold, but I did write a couple articles for his Blackjack Forum Magazine.
    I don't recall seeing a snow report column in BJ Forum.

Blog Entries

the link has a great deal of his writing - the down arrow next to the word "online" has even more:

https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/gambling-with-an-edge/blackjack-forum-online/

Last edited by drunk; 06-07-2023 at 07:48 AM.
    Please don't feed the trolls

Apologies for the delay in my response.

It is, of course, with a heavy heart that I write these lines. Arnold and I go back to 1980, when I received, quite unexpectedly, a complimentary copy of his new booklet, The Blackjack Formula, which was selling for the modest price of … $100! For some time, I had been writing regularly to Stanford Wong, making comments, and occasionally corrections, to material that appeared in his Blackjack Newsletter and Nevada Blackjack. Apparently, Arnold was impressed enough to want me to take a look at his new work.

And so began a very regular correspondence between the two of us, which grew considerably once the first issue of Blackjack Forum appeared in March 1981. It wasn’t long before Arnold proposed to me that I become a regular columnist for his magazine, and, for the record, my first article, “A Day in the Life of a Table Hopper,” appeared in the December 1984 issue. Thus began a steady stream of quarterly pieces that continued for many years and that established my standing in the blackjack community.

Years later, after continual coaxing from both Wong and Snyder for me to organize all the material that had been published into a book, it was Arnold and RGE who became the publisher of the first edition of Blackjack Attack. To this day, I am indebted to the Bishop, who, as I mentioned in the Acknowledgments of BJA, “gave me a ‘forum’ in which to publish my blackjack articles, and who finally convinced me, after many years of trying, to write [the] book. Arnold, perhaps more than for any other individual, this one’s for you!”

We mortals all eventually pass, but our legacy lives on, and in the case of Arnold Snyder, he leaves perhaps the finest overall body of accumulated wisdom of anyone who has ever turned his thoughts to the game that we all love. Not a reader here can ever say that he or she hasn’t garnered an enormous amount of his accumulated blackjack knowledge from this pioneer—this ground-breaking charter member of the Blackjack Hall of Fame—who forever changed the way we all look at and study the game of blackjack. I learned from him. We all did.

May Arnold rest in peace. I shall miss him.

Don

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast