See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: True Count & Number of Players

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    All good, but note that I was looking at Hi-Lo running count.

Blog Entries

Great work!
    And the explaination, clear and simple.

Blog Entries

http://www.edwardothorp.com/wp-conte...rEachRound.pdf

[DOES BASIC STRATEGY HAVE THE SAME EXPECTATION FOR EACH ROUND?]

From the paper, seems that it compares the first round with a round starts from any segment of a deck.
    It did not consider if there is any tend to high or low cards bias after dealing a round.
    This is what I read, from my high school math standard, without fully understand the whole paper.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
    http://www.edwardothorp.com/wp-conte...rEachRound.pdf

[DOES BASIC STRATEGY HAVE THE SAME EXPECTATION FOR EACH ROUND?]

From the paper, seems that it compares the first round with a round starts from any segment of a deck.
    It did not consider if there is any tend to high or low cards bias after dealing a round.
    This is what I read, from my high school math standard, without fully understand the whole paper.

Gronbog's results do not contradict Mr. Thorp.

We could create a very oversimplified example:
    Code:
    Assume basic strategy EV = 0.0%
    Assume deal from top of shoe for round 1 so round 1 EV = 0.0%
    Assume 2 possibilities for shoe comp & EV using basic strategy for round 2
         60% of the time more positive cards played on round 1 causes round 2 EV = -1.0%
         40% of the time more negative cards played on round 1 causes round 2 EV = +1.5%

Round 2 EV = 0.0%, same as round 1 EV.
    It's certainly far more complicated than this but shows the idea of how round 2 EV = round 1 EV even though more high cards are probable on round 1, outside of some other condition such as a cut card.

k_c

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k_c View Post
    Gronbog's results do not contradict Mr. Thorp.

We could create a very oversimplified example:
    Code:
    Assume basic strategy EV = 0.0%
    Assume deal from top of shoe for round 1 so round 1 EV = 0.0%
    Assume 2 possibilities for shoe comp & EV using basic strategy for round 2
         60% of the time more positive cards played on round 1 causes round 2 EV = -1.0%
         40% of the time more negative cards played on round 1 causes round 2 EV = +1.5%

Round 2 EV = 0.0%, same as round 1 EV.

It's certainly far more complicated than this but shows the idea of how round 2 EV = round 1 EV even though more high cards are probable on round 1, outside of some other condition such as a cut card.

k_c
    In the part of [Proof],

[Since f is onto and the number of x’s and y’s are the same, namely n!,
    then f is one-to-one whence the set of f (x) = y are simply a shuffling or
    rearrangement of the x’s.]

[he probability distributions for S are identical in G1 and G2.]
    +++

Does it say, not only the expectations are the same, but the cards using for two rounds are equal chance for every rank?
    And [the probability distributions for S are identical] is the reason why the expectations for two rounds are the same.

If "high cards used more in the first round" is true , then the second round should has a different chance of having a blackjack, so the probability distributions are no long identical.

Does it say, not only the expectations are the same, but the cards using for two rounds are equal chance for every rank?
    And [the probability distributions for S are identical] is the reason why the expectations for two rounds are the same.
    Yes, this is what he is saying.

If "high cards used more in the first round" is true , then the second round should has a different chance of having a blackjack, so the probability distributions are no long identical.
    I agree with this assessment. He refers to this principle when discussing the mechanics of the cut card effect beginning on page 11.

Let me clarify by saying that this does not mean there is a contradiction. It means that the theorem does not apply when we have knowledge of the properties of cards which have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Let me clarify by saying that this does not mean there is a contradiction. It means that the theorem does not apply when we have knowledge of the properties of cards which have been removed.
    If cards are removed randomly and are not subject to the constraints that they necessarily have to comprise a valid round then what Mr. Thorp is saying is right.

You showed the effects of requiring the removed cards to comprise a valid round.

If an exhaustive sim is run using only basic strategy taking care to avoid any cut card effect I'm pretty sure it would validate the computed full shoe basic strategy EV. I'm not that much into simulation but I've checked this to a small extent.

To me this indicates that basic strategy EV for any round = full shoe basic strategy EV absent cut card effect even for the requirement that removed cards comprise a valid round.

k_c

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k_c View Post
    To me this indicates that basic strategy EV for any round = full shoe basic strategy EV absent cut card effect even for the requirement that removed cards comprise a valid round.
    How about the chance of having a blackjack after the first round, that the ratio of tens drop below 4/13 ?

Blog Entries

If I burn a card and then draw a card randomly, the drawn card is equal chance for any rank.
    If the burn card is 10% more often to be a ten, no longer equal chance of ranks from the
    drawn card.
    Now the last card of the first round is the bias burn card.

Blog Entries

Hi k_c, isn't it your bjstrat program can find out all combinations of the first round? Then we can know the exact ratios of cards are dealt in the first round.

Have corresponded with Thorp recently about this. I agree with k_c and Thorp, who wrote the following:

I believe my conclusions are a corollary of Doob's (nontrivial) more general mathematical result.

To get insight into the issues, consider this simple example:

Randomly shuffled deck of 2 red and two black cards. There are six equally probable sequences.
    Draw until first red card appears.
    Payoff is +1 for red, -1 for black.
    E round 1 is 0.
    After first round, six partial decks remain and we know they have exactly one red card.
    3 are red card poor, two are neutral and one is red card rich.
    Second round: repeat.
    Result: E=0 again.

Write it out and see.

Obvious or trivial? OK then prove mathematically the general case for m red cards and n black cards. Doable.

OK then prove the general case for BJ play.

Don again. Notice how we FORCE the first round to end with a red card and yet (perhaps somewhat unintuitively), the EV for the second round, which is red-card poor, is STILL zero!

Don

Blog Entries

I fear this is way too simplistic for a reductio proof. It ignores rules that affect the odds of the second hand.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast