Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12v4 question

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

12v4 question

so in complete zen count index, it says you should hit 12 against 4 when the true count is 1 or lower. im confused if you play blackjack and you get 10, 2 and the dealer shows 4 on your very first hand, then the true count should be lower than 1 unless its a single deck game. if this is the case, should the basic strategy say to hit 12 vs 4?

Quote Originally Posted by hwjman View Post
    so in complete zen count index, it says you should hit 12 against 4 when the true count is 1 or lower. im confused if you play blackjack and you get 10, 2 and the dealer shows 4 on your very first hand, then the true count should be lower than 1 unless its a single deck game. if this is the case, should the basic strategy say to hit 12 vs 4?
    You're not specifying the number of decks so I'm assuming it's 6D,S17.
    One thing is 12v4, which is total-dependent, and another is T,2v4, which is composition-dependent.
    For Zen the index is 0 in both cases. If I remember correctly, in 2D,S17 the index is 0 and 1 respectively.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Cac

Quote Originally Posted by hwjman View Post
    You hit 12 v 4 when Zen count is -1 or lower. You stand when Zen count is 0 or higher. In other words, you hit when count is negative. You stand when count is zero or positive. Chance of stand is higher than chance of hit. Thus the Basic Strategy says to stand on 12 v 4.

Blog Entries

Basic strategy is not the same as counting. Basic strategy takes into account your cards and the dealer upcard. Counting can take this into account through the count. They can look like they disagree at times. The point is that a count of zero is not the same as basic strategy.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Yes. But the differences are minor

The differences are mainly on single or double deck games. It also depends on how you define your TC=0 point.

Blog Entries

Obviously, there are differences between card counting and basic strategy. Otherwise, why count? The TC0 thingy is simply a misunderstanding in how both work and the common misconception that basic strategy is TC0.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Sorry for my flippant response. Yes, there are differences. A True Count of zero is indeed different from Basic Strategy.

Basic Strategy assumes a fresh shoe, with no cards already dealt, but counting assumes the cards have been played to produce the decision at hand.

But again, differences are minor. A2v5 and 16v10, come to mind for me (9v2??). AP players should use Indices, Basic Strategists use Basic Strategy.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It’s obvious that different authors might have used different definitions of the TC=0 point; however, I’ve never seen anybody defining it mathematically. They intentionally left them vague so a good reason. People really do not need that accuracy for gambling at all. This is the least important part for blackjack.

Blog Entries

The same can be said for any TC. Which does not make counts unimportant.

Actually, there are strict definitions which I'm too lazy to put into terms. The TC calculation routine in CVData is about 800 lines of code.
    Last edited by Norm; 03-17-2022 at 06:50 AM.

Interesting! This question has bothered me for a couple of years. What is the most likely (probably) deck composition in the remaining two decks of a six-deck shoe?

It seems that its TC is exactly 0? But different from a fresh two-deck shoe?

Blog Entries

TC0 is the most likely anywhere in the shoe, except for next to last card. At the start of the deck, it's always TC0 with balanced counts. After four out of six decks dealt, about 180:1 against a TC of zero.

See: https://www.blackjackincolor.com/penetration1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    Interesting! This question has bothered me for a couple of years. What is the most likely (probably) deck composition in the remaining two decks of a six-deck shoe?

It seems that its TC is exactly 0? But different from a fresh two-deck shoe?
    My software simulator calculates the threshold at -0.2. Above -0.2 is stand. Below -0.2 is hit. At -0.2 is flip the coin. For people who don't want to use the fraction number, floor of -0.2 is -1.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast