Hi all,

I use RA indices and have even rounded one or two of them either up or down to make some numbers easier to remember quickly (ensuring they’re still above max EV index of course), and therefore this doesn’t bother me too much, but still it’s something I’m curious about.

I’ve extracted the indices out of Professional Blackjack in the ‘no hole card’ chapter and have done my best to mimic the conditions using CVData, but I still get some different indices and am wondering peoples thoughts on this, should they not be identical if run correctly?

I have used the benchmark rules and conditions from the book as stated in chapter 1 –
Six decks
One deck cut
S17
No DAS but double any two first cards
Split up to four hands
Ace splits one card only
Insurance offered with no other side bets
No surrender
3:2 BJ
High-Low
Max bet at True +4

Chapter 3 also mentions truncating is used in the book so this has been selected for TC division
I’ve used quarter deck resolution at all depths and ‘round’ deck estimation, I’ve run the index generation with ‘beat to death’ selected.
Playing strategy is using a custom Basic Strategy I created which I believe is correct for ENHC no DAS, S17, six decks

As one example, I consistently get these indexes different to the book –
Split 10’s vs 4 at +7 (book says +6), split 10’s vs 6 at +5 (book says +4). This is simply one arbitrary example.

I’m sure back when this book was written different software (if any) was used etc. I’m just curious for something that is non-opinionated and highly mathematical why my indices are coming out different to those published in this book. The differences are small, but if I’m doing something wrong I want to identify it.

Thanks.