See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CVData/CVCX requests

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It would take two runs.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I think it would be cool if CVData had the option to Tag the Tens Separately...

And does CVData Support 1/4 point support or do you have to double the tags and run it in half point?
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Blog Entries

You can tag the tens separately for side counts; but not for the main count.

Quarter points would probably be a major change.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You can tag the tens separately for side counts; but not for the main count.

Quarter points would probably be a major change.
    Sorry, what i meant by separately was individually, not as a block. As an example -1 (10) -2 (J,Q,K)...Anyway food for thought.
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Blog Entries

Yes, I understood that. Side counts allow you to individually count the 52 cards. For example, with Lucky Ladies, you may want to count the queen of hearts differently.

I second Jack’s request. What he’s getting at is balanced side counts. You can think of it either as a kind of multi parameter count, or you can think of it as using different tags for different plays.

Another request: running count plays for those borderline plays. E.g. 16 v 10, I stand on a running count of +1 & higher, and for 12 v 4 I hit if the running count is -1 or lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

On the first, again, side counts, balanced or unbalanced, are allowed by each of the 52 cards. Suits and separate face cards can be specified with different counts.

bsc.jpg

On the second, this is supported in CVBJ, but not CVData. I'll look into adding it to CVData.
    Last edited by Norm; 01-02-2022 at 05:53 AM.

On the first, again, side counts, balanced or unbalanced, are allowed by each of the 52 cards. Suits and separate face cards can be specified with different counts.

bsc.jpg

On the second, this is supported in CVBJ, but not CVData. I'll look into adding it to CVData.
    Thanks Norm, however, the above is for betting. I and Jack are asking for the ability to use different tags for different playing decisions. E.g. in my actual system the tags I use to decide doubling 10 v T are different than when I decide to hit/stand 16 v T.

Yeah, still sounds like this is just an MP count. That would be far easier than keeping two balanced counts,
    Different brains work differently. For me, the only way I side count is by using a 2nd balanced count. I'd hate to count an individual rank or block of ranks, I feel there are a lot of problems with that compared to balanced counts. It's like the difference between Thorp's early system of counting only tens to calculate a ratio (klunky & cumbersome) versus Hi-Lo (balanced, elegant and smooth).

Blog Entries

I haven't seen anything in Jack's posts like that. I have only simmed one system like that which was awful, even though it had three counts. If you want to do such, use multi-parameter counting.

I haven't seen anything in Jack's posts like that. I have only simmed one system like that which was awful, even though it had three counts. If you want to do such, use multi-parameter counting.
    Jack will hopefully chime in (& correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm almost certain that what he was asking for and what I am asking for are the exact same thing. I'm not sure why, but nearly everyone doesn't get this idea when it's explained, and there are different & equivalent ways of thinking about it. Keeping 2 (or more) balanced counts allows the player to change tags as needed or as desired. I really do think it is like the difference between Thorp's klunky early ten-count versus the large improvement of balancing ranks to make Hi-Lo. I developed my system shortly after reading Don's BJA3 and Griffin's ToBJ 6th Edition. It's the next logical step. I am baffled that balanced side counts didn't become popular immediately after the publication of the EoR tables. I don't know about the system you simmed with 3 balanced counts, or if the designer did a good job with their strategy development. The way I devised my strategy, it would be impossible to be awful, because it is rooted in the fundamentals of blackjack. I can use the balanced side count a hundred different ways, like the way a Plains Indian used every scrap of a hunted bison. I cannot use regular multi-parameter counting, as you suggest, because I am not taking a single rank and determining an excess or deficit.

Blog Entries

Multi-parameter count support in CVData is not limited to a single rank. Are you saying you make a different playing decision based on whether you have a ten or a face card?
    Last edited by Norm; 01-03-2022 at 04:38 AM.

Multi-parameter count support in CVData is not limited to a single rank. Are you saying you make a different playing decision based on whether you have a ten or a face card?
    The generic decision-making process goes like this:

A side count is kept of balanced (not blocked together) ranks. For example, a 5 & 6 side count of integers with opposite signs.

For a group of plays or a play in question, e.g. Hit/Stand on 16 v Ten, the RC is modified by adding or subtracting a multiple (possibly fractional) of the side count. This can apply to side bets too, e.g. Insurance.

The multiple of the side count used is previously determined by using the best multiple that optimizes the playing efficiency of that hand, using the EoR tables. Adding a multiple of the side count to the running count is most accurately thought of as changing the tags of the main system.

Some portion of hands require a new index when a multiple of the side count is combined with the RC.

Blog Entries

OK, this is supported for betting only. There is some quite old code in one of the CVData simulators to do this for playing, but it is not in the user interface. I need to look at that. It's unlikely that it supports fractional multipliers.

I still don't understand what situations require a different count for a ten or face card for playing. This is only supported for betting.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast