See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: J. A. Nairn false claims about first to calculate split evs for finite decks

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

J. A. Nairn false claims about first to calculate split evs for finite decks

J. A. Nairn Publications (orst.edu)

Does anyone know this guy? He's claiming in his paper:

[1909.13710] Exact Calculation of Expected Values for Splitting Pairs in Blackjack (arxiv.org)

That he is the first person to get exact split EVs for finite deck splits which is patently false. It's bad enough he did it once but then he re-claimed it by posting it on arxiv's in 2019.

I just ran across his blackjack article when I was looking for old posts of mine since I'm helping someone through the calcs, where he claims to be the first person to calculate EVs for splits exactly despite the fact that Cacarulo and I were 100% the first people who did it in 2002, Don published Cacarulo's values in BJA3 shortly after, and I helped Stuart Ethier work out his splits chapter in 2007 in the Doctrine of Chances. My CA was also being shared around in 2006 which is probably how he confirmed his numbers if not from Don's book. A bunch of people then duplicated Cacarulo and my work well before his paper.

I had posted the methodology on the old BJ Math site. Don? Norm? Cacarulo? Do any of you know him and did he have a pseudonym at the time? I'm trying to get information before I contact him directly and if he doesn't retract it I'll be contacting arxiv's and his department chair.

His description of the "zero-memory" and "recursive" method remind me a lot of T Hopper who used our numbers to confirm his split calcs. T Hopper, do you know this person?

John, if you see this please contact me and confirm that you will retract your claim and cite sources appropriately.

MGP
    Last edited by MGP; 05-25-2021 at 09:55 PM.