See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use the Silver Fox?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Does anyone use the Silver Fox?

Hey I was wondering if anyone uses or has used or knows anyone that uses the silver Fox count. It seems almost identical to hi low.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatian View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone uses or has used or knows anyone that uses the silver Fox count. It seems almost identical to hi low.
    I remember its very bad system...(Silver Fox).
    Last edited by Gramazeka; 05-19-2021 at 07:23 PM.
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Quote Originally Posted by Gramazeka View Post
    I remember its very bad system...(Silver Fox).
    Very bad?

Silver Fox

2,3,4,5,6,7: +1

8: 0

9,X,A: -1

BE: 0.96

PE: 0.53

IC: 0.69

Why is it "very bad"?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It isn't very bad; it's just no better than Hi-Lo and counts two extra ranks to no avail. It suffers in the IC because it counts the 9 as a negative, which, of course, like Halves, is in the wrong direction.

Don

I have to say Don...I’m so glad you are still around and posting nuggets like this. Still have my BJA3 signed and numbered hardcover. Please keep doing what you do...

What is IC

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmoney View Post
    What is IC
    Insurance correlation--ability to detect when it is proper to take insurance.

Don

RE: The Silverfox Count...

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    It isn't very bad; it's just no better than Hi-Lo and counts two extra ranks to no avail. It suffers in the IC because it counts the 9 as a negative, which, of course, like Halves, is in the wrong direction.

Don
    I reiterate...I've been using Stricker's "Silver Fox" strategy for 40 years now, and it has served me well. I continue to use it to this day on SD & DD here where I live. And I know from previous posts, the fact that I spread no more than 1-4 units, and even then on parlay's only, is a point of contention... I never come from the hip with a 4 unit bet tho, and that detail alone is responsible for my loosing very few joints in the past 40 years. (I can count them on one hand and still have fingers left over)...About the only modification I employ to the S.F. system is your Ill-18 Don, which also has served me well...I broke in dealing craps at the old "Palace Club" in Reno back in 1965. (Anyone remember that old flat joint)?.....Anyway, here I am about to leave the wrong side of 70 for the right side of 80, and still strong enough to make 3 or 4 plays a week......As for the luck factor, I have always maintained that luck is the residue of design.....same ronster....

Don why 9s is bad idea to be tagged as -1 ?

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Insurance is a bet that the dealer downcard is a ten. Ten cards have negative counts. So, if the count is high, it is more likely that the dealer has a ten. The best counting system for insurance would count tens as negative and all other cards as positive. But, that's a poor count for other bets and play. The more non-ten cards that are counted as -1, the more you dilute the effectiveness of the count for insurance. So, counting nines as negative reduces insurance advantage.

But, as Don says, Silver Fox isn't a "bad" strategy. It's just that the count is more work for the same level of performance as HiLo.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

We tested Silver Fox for the SCORE study and ultimately didn't include it, simply because the level-1 representatives--Hi-Lo and K-O--outperformed it. So, the point that has now been made a couple of times is that there is little sense to counting two extra cards--the 7 and the 9--if so doing is not only not going to outperfrom Hi-Lo, but is actually going to underperform by a little bit. And the reason, one final time, is because insurance is the single most important strategy departure index, and the insurance correlation for Silver Fox is hurt by counting the 9 as a negative, when, for insurance purposes, if anything, it ought to be a positive.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    We tested Silver Fox for the SCORE study and ultimately didn't include it, simply because the level-1 representatives--Hi-Lo and K-O--outperformed it. So, the point that has now been made a couple of times is that there is little sense to counting two extra cards--the 7 and the 9--if so doing is not only not going to outperfrom Hi-Lo, but is actually going to underperform by a little bit. And the reason, one final time, is because insurance is the single most important strategy departure index, and the insurance correlation for Silver Fox is hurt by counting the 9 as a negative, when, for insurance purposes, if anything, it ought to be a positive.

Don
    I agree. But counting 7 and 9 as 0.5, we invent the most powerful second level system. It is amazing !
    "Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Here we have some SCOREs for the following rules:

1) 6D-S17-DOA-DAS-SPL1-SPL3-NS, 4.5/6, no burn card, play all and heads up.
    2) R22 indices: This is a revision of the traditional C22 indices. The difference is that I replaced 10vT by TTv4.
    3) The R22 indices are floored and the decks remaining were calculated to the "exact card" instead of to the "nearest half".

A) KO (RC mode)
    1-12: 21.04
    1-16: 25.04

B) HI-LO (TC mode)
    1-12: 21.15
    1-16: 25.00

C) SILVER-FOX (TC mode)
    1-12: 20.25
    1-16: 23.96

Sincerely,
    Cac

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast