See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Which deviations are most valuable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    unfortunately, most of what our new junior member, aceside, has stated is simply not correct.
    I am glad I joined this forum. You are all very helpful. I am a blackjack player not a mathematician. This is some reason I joined this forum to seek help from you. I would like to learn from you, especially Don, Gronbog, Norm, and G man and more. I played a lot that is why I trust my intuitions. However, I made some mistakes in my calculation of blackjack hand frequencies. Let me correct them one by one. But firstly, let me simplify the math first. We assume it is a 6-deck game without surrender and consider only the player’s first two cards.

1. Player makes a stand/hit decision at 16v10 at a frequency of 42%*(13/169)*(4/13)=1.0%. Here the 42% is the frequency of true count +0.
    2. Player makes insurance/no decision at dealer Ace at a frequency of 5%*1/13=0.4%. Here the 5% is the frequency of true count +3.
    3. I overestimated the contribution from surrender option. I don’t know how to get a number here.
    4. I totally agree with Don “you can't possibly rank "surrender" as a single value or contribution to overall SCORE”. I always combine surrender into the hit/stand option.

Finally, I will read more into your books to learn and expect to see more research results on this optic.
    Last edited by aceside; 01-12-2021 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Dealer makes insurance/no decision at dealer Ace at a frequency of 5%*1/13=0.4%.

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    I am glad I joined this forum. You are all very helpful. I am a blackjack player not a mathematician. This is some reason I joined this forum to seek help from you. I would like to learn from you, especially Don, Gronbog, Norm, and G man and more. I played a lot that is why I trust my intuitions. However, I made some mistakes in my calculation of blackjack hand frequencies. Let me correct them one by one. But firstly, let me simplify the math first. We assume it is a 6-deck game without surrender and consider only the player’s first two cards.

1. Player makes a stand/hit decision at 16v10 at a frequency of 42%*(13/169)*(4/13)=1.0%. Here the 42% is the frequency of true count +0.
    2. Player makes insurance/no decision at dealer Ace at a frequency of 5%*1/13=0.4%. Here the 5% is the frequency of true count +3.
    3. I overestimated the contribution from surrender option. I don’t know how to get a number here.
    4. I totally agree with Don “you can't possibly rank "surrender" as a single value or contribution to overall SCORE”. I always combine surrender into the hit/stand option.

Finally, I will read more into your books to learn and expect to see more research results on this optic.
    A few more clarifications. The TC is >=+3 8.69% of the time for 4.5/6, not the 5% that you mention. And the frequency of all holdings of 16 vs. T is the 3.5% given on p. 62 of BJA3. So, yes, you will make a departure of standing on 16 vs. T (.035 x 0.55 = 0.0192) 1.92% of the time, or about twice very 100 hands you are dealt. You will take insurance 0.077 x 0.0869 = 0.67% of the time, or once very 150 hands. So, you use the standing index 2.87 times more frequently than you take insurance. But that's just the beginning of the story.

Next, you have to consider your average bet that you have on the table when you make each play. And, it is here that you will find the insurance wager to be more than three times as large, with, say, a 1-12 spread. So, this is how insurance "catches up" to 16 vs. T in importance. Finally, and it's much too complicated to explain here, but I do it in the book, you have to consider the page 62, column 9 calculation that takes into account how efficient your particular count (in this case, Hi-Lo) is in actually detecting and correlating to the play under discussion. So that impacts the importance of the index as well.

Many people skip right to all the charts in my book without reading all of the preceding material as to how the charts were generated and the logic and math behind them. To each his own, but to me, understanding the concepts is important and shouldn't be skipped.

Bottom line: insurance and 16 vs. T are the two most important deviations in the game, and their importance and contributions to SCORE are very close to each other -- so much so that, under certain game conditions, 16 vs. T can be more important.

Enough for now.

Don
    Last edited by DSchles; 01-12-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Bottom line: insurance and 16 vs. T are the two most important deviations in the game, and their importance and contributions to SCORE are very close to each other -- so much so that, under certain game conditions, 16 vs. T can be more important.
    If insurance is the most important skill for making money, I just do not see any future of AP. This conclusion does not justify our education. Thank you somuch for you instruction. Happy New Year!

If insurance is the most important skill for making money, I just do not see any future of AP. This conclusion does not justify our education.
    Someone who is in the very early stages in development in forming a solid foundation regarding the learning stages of a game should not be making uninformed conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Someone who is in the very early stages in development in forming a solid foundation regarding the learning stages of a game should not be making uninformed conclusions.
    I meant to say is that the chance of taking insurance is only once every 150 hands. So, how is possible for you guys to make money?

I meant to say is that the chance of taking insurance is only once every 150 hands. So, how is possible for you guys to make money?
    Knowing when to take insurance is only one tool in a large tool box.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Knowing when to take insurance is only one tool in a large tool box.
    Can you safely say that insurance is the most important skill in blackjack? This is what I keep pushing.

Can you safely say that insurance is the most important skill in blackjack? This is what I keep pushing.
    You're really not making any sense pushing this. The most important skill is playing correctly. Knowing when to take insurance is just one very small part of the game.

Insurance isn't a "skill." It's a strategy departure. It's an index number that you learn -- one among many. It happens to be the most important one, but you are obsessing over something that doesn't merit your obsession.

Don

Insurance isn't a "skill." It's a strategy departure. It's an index number that you learn -- one among many. It happens to be the most important one, but you are obsessing over something that doesn't merit your obsession.

Don
    See spreadsheet. Here I calculated the total amount of bet (investment) for a 6-deck shoe, not the expected return. I used a bet spread of 1/2/4/8/16. I do not know how to calculate ER for these cases. Any idea? I am still not sure about the relative importance of 16vs10 and insurance, but it strongly depends on the bet spread, of course, the number of decks. Insurace16vs10V2.jpg
    Last edited by aceside; 01-14-2021 at 11:41 PM.