Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
I read through half of the book last December but had to take a break for professional and health reasons. But I must say that I'm tired of all these euphemistic, unrealistic hero storys about guys who were succesful despite of a shoestring bankroll. This not only holds for Colin's, but for several other books, too. The essence always is "I was just lucky and did not survive by my system but of pure luck."

After all, why should I believe such stories whilst running CVCX sims saying that ruin is almost certain with just 500 or 2000 dollar starting bankrolls, especially with nowadays increased table mins? Hardly they ever mention that, or 6:5, let alone CSMs. Even the really good books like Professional Blackjack assume S17 and good rules, or even Early Surrender at four deck shoes in AC back in 1978, as Ken Uston reported. Not very useful nowadays, so I would expect something more helpful from a 2019 book than pure euphorism. But I want to finish the book first before finally judging it.
it's possible he's lying or embellishing but in advantage gambling (as well as many other things in life) there is a huge survivorship bias.if 100 equally skilled card counters start out massively underolled most will burn out but a few will run well at the start, build up a real bankroll and find success.i've seen it in poker a bunch.the 95 percent who burn out aren't around to tell their stories.