See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Comparison of deviations

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Comparison of deviations

Just been reviewing deviations and comparing two resources.

Let's say the running count is -4 with 5 decks remaining.

In professional blackjack, you would surrender 15vs10 at 0. In the scenario above, the TC is -0.8, yet you would still surrender because you're supposed to truncate your values.

Using blackjackapprenticeship, you're supposed to surrender 15v10 at a running count of 0 and above, and you hit 15v10 if the running count is negative.

We're betting table minimum here usually anyway, so were not losing many units by choosing one method over the other. I am curious though what method you prefer.

I have been using blackjackapprenticeships method as that is the program I used when I learned about counting. But I would rather surrender 15v10 than hit. In other words, I would prefer to truncate values as according to Wong.

Thanks for reading.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitram View Post
    Just been reviewing deviations and comparing two resources.

Let's say the running count is -4 with 5 decks remaining.

In professional blackjack, you would surrender 15vs10 at 0. In the scenario above, the TC is -0.8, yet you would still surrender because you're supposed to truncate your values.

Using blackjackapprenticeship, you're supposed to surrender 15v10 at a running count of 0 and above, and you hit 15v10 if the running count is negative.

We're betting table minimum here usually anyway, so were not losing many units by choosing one method over the other. I am curious though what method you prefer.

I have been using blackjackapprenticeships method as that is the program I used when I learned about counting. But I would rather surrender 15v10 than hit. In other words, I would prefer to truncate values as according to Wong.

Thanks for reading.
    If you’re truncating negative running counts, then you’ll not be able to accurately gauge positive true counts, - true 1.8 will truncate to true 1.0, and true 1.8 is worth a lot more than 1.0.

You’ve previously stated your rule set which equates to better than he .5. Floor everything, interpolate your positives and you’ll be a lot better off. Leads to some interesting theoretical offshoots.

I personally have no issues hitting 15 or16 in a surrender game when the count is in the toilet.

16vs10 would be another situation where the exact same values apply.

16v10, we stand, according to Wong, if the true count is -0.8. As the value is truncated to 0.

16v10, we hit, according to blackjackapprenticeship, if the true count is -0.8. As the value is a negative running count.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

16v10, we stand, according to Wong, if the true count is -0.8. As the value is truncated to 0.

16v10, we hit, according to blackjackapprenticeship, if the true count is -0.8. As the value is a negative running count.
    Floor, floor, floor, and there is better indexes available than Colins values.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Theory for you
    Why on earth would both 15 and 16 have the same surrender or hit value. Reason it out. You’re missing something. Remember - you’re playing a long term game

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Theory for you
    Why on earth would both 15 and 16 have the same surrender or hit value. Reason it out. You’re missing something. Remember - you’re playing a long term game
    Hmm, no takers.
    Well, snagging a 5 with either 15 or 16 gives you a great hand. But, 16 busts with a 6, but not 15. That Just might have a lot to do with it. More, of course, but the point is made.

Now, even with an ES10 game, if the count is really in the toilet, hit.

I wonder how many of the counters do the proper BS for the 15 vs 10 surrender strategy that calls for surrendering 10,5 and 9,6 but hitting 7,8.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    I wonder how many of the counters do the proper BS for the 15 vs 10 surrender strategy that calls for surrendering 10,5 and 9,6 but hitting 7,8.
    Very very few. Or for that matter, hitting 16 in “certain” card combinations, even in positive counts. The difference won’t make you rich over the long haul, but they are part of the nuanced long term game.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    Careful not to generalize. Correct for 6 decks, but wrong for 8 decks, where you surrender 8,7 also. Finally, counters don't play BS; they make their plays according to the count. So for 6-deck, unless this would be the first hand off the top of the deck, with no one else at the table, you would play by the count and not BS.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Very very few. Or for that matter, hitting 16 in “certain” card combinations, even in positive counts. The difference won’t make you rich over the long haul, but they are part of the nuanced long term game.
    See above.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Careful not to generalize. Correct for 6 decks, but wrong for 8 decks, where you surrender 8,7 also. Finally, counters don't play BS; they make their plays according to the count. So for 6-deck, unless this would be the first hand off the top of the deck, with no one else at the table, you would play by the count and not BS.

Don
    That's why I said "proper BS"