Thread: Win/Loss Registry & Splits

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Win/Loss Registry & Splits

Hey everybody!

Seeing as how I am quite unfamiliar with the underpinning statistics in Blackjack, I need to make sure that I am scoring the W/L registries correctly when a Split occurs.

Heretofore, I would sometimes score a Split as 1 W/L but sometimes, when I thought of it, I would score it as 2. This obviously is unacceptable and I have decided that they must be scored as 2 wins or 2 losses, every time (obviously a split Split is simply +1 to both counters).

EXAMPLES

I Split and receive a loss on both hands, the registry would read LL instead of L <===
    I Split and receive a win on both hands, the registry would read WW instead of W <===
    I Split and receive a win and a loss, the registry would read LW (or WL)

So the question is, should Split hands be counted as two separate hands for the registry or should they count as one hand?

EDIT: Its terrible how confused I am about this. Now I have decided that it should be scored as one hand?
    Last edited by Reyth; 04-19-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Most people care about the number of rounds (so spreading to multiple hands or splitting are still considered part of the same round) you play, not the number of individual hands. Depends on what exactly you’re tracking these for, but in general it’s monetary gain/loss that is important, so a “round” is a more valuable concept than a “hand”.

Blog Entries

It doesn't matter.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

SO, for what purpose are you keeping a W/L registry?
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Quote Originally Posted by Reyth View Post
    Hey everybody!

Seeing as how I am quite unfamiliar with the underpinning statistics in Blackjack, I need to make sure that I am scoring the W/L registries correctly when a Split occurs.

Heretofore, I would sometimes score a Split as 1 W/L but sometimes, when I thought of it, I would score it as 2. This obviously is unacceptable and I have decided that they must be scored as 2 wins or 2 losses, every time (obviously a split Split is simply +1 to both counters).

EXAMPLES

I Split and receive a loss on both hands, the registry would read LL instead of L <===
    I Split and receive a win on both hands, the registry would read WW instead of W <===
    I Split and receive a win and a loss, the registry would read LW (or WL)

So the question is, should Split hands be counted as two separate hands for the registry or should they count as one hand?

EDIT: Its terrible how confused I am about this. Now I have decided that it should be scored as one hand?
    Why would you even care?

Quote Originally Posted by anc View Post
    Most people care about the number of rounds (so spreading to multiple hands or splitting are still considered part of the same round) you play, not the number of individual hands. Depends on what exactly you’re tracking these for, but in general it’s monetary gain/loss that is important, so a “round” is a more valuable concept than a “hand”.
    I like this answer.

Wow, tracking W/L at the round level is craziness. There is nothing to learn and nothing to gain by doing so.

In my experience at tracking AP play we counted the number of shoes played in a session and the computer (imagine that) calculated the number of rounds played. Our betting system was a flat bet at all positve counts (requires bank suitable for the variance). WIth this data and specific information on the game # decks, rules, pen we could calculate a theoretical EV for the session. Over time these results could be contrasted to actual (not quite as simple as it sounds) and patterns emerged, some more meaningful than others.These patterns often served as flags for discussions about a variety of playing circumstances and results.

While these metrics may sound convincing, be aware that statistics only provides questions, not answers. It is with timely and open communications that you can find some jewels.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!