Thread: Why Re-open the Las Vegas Strip?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Why Re-open the Las Vegas Strip?

I thought this was an interesting article.
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...gas-strip.aspx

Blog Entries

I don't think much of Motley Fool. But, LV may indeed have to change.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Pretty negative article -

I think he forgot to mention one thing - People like to go to las Vegas.

I wouldn't bet against Vegas - they'll find a way to get people back.

Blog Entries

Vegas was once the only place in the US where you could legally gamble. Not so now. Plus, Vegas has realized for some time that they must change their act. They tried attracting families with big attractions, and that didn't work. Of course boxing, racing, sports betting. They don't have a monopoly on that. Then it's nightclubs. Certainly no monopoly there.

They have some hard work ahead of them.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

The installation of the hockey team has helped, and the Raiders will bring a significant amount growth to the region. I'd say LV is poised to rebound better than most large cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Vegas was once the only place in the US where you could legally gamble. Not so now. Plus, Vegas has realized for some time that they must change their act. They tried attracting families with big attractions, and that didn't work. Of course boxing, racing, sports betting. They don't have a monopoly on that. Then it's nightclubs. Certainly no monopoly there.

They have some hard work ahead of them.
    I would say that I tend to lean with Norm on this one. LV tried the family thing, but I don't think that worked either.
    And I don't think a hockey team or football team will really drive much in LV.
    And they used to have a monopoly on gambling, concerts, fights etc etc...not anymore. A lot of people can play cards, slots, or bet sports in their hometown now. I am starting to think the virus might really change LV in the future. Dare I say...maybe better rules? I guess we will see.
    Part of the historical attraction of LV was the craziness and danger...you never knew what you might see. But now you mostly see fat families waddling around from one buffet to another while being seen on facial recognition lol. You can see that anywhere on your family vacation now lol.
    Last edited by Counting_Is_Fun; 04-10-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Surely Vegas is still the convention centre of the US ? The conventions they can hold are massive and the gaming is an add-on to those...

Quote Originally Posted by ummagumma View Post
    Surely Vegas is still the convention centre of the US ? The conventions they can hold are massive and the gaming is an add-on to those...
    Good point. LV is the convention center of the US. But there is not much of a reason why, especially at this point. I guess we will see.
    My intuition tells me it used to be because it was a fun place for (mostly men) to go for a convention...gamble, shows, fights, clubs, etc etc. You can do all that mostly anywhere now.
    Last edited by Counting_Is_Fun; 04-11-2020 at 01:33 AM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Counting_Is_Fun View Post
    Good point. LV is the convention center of the US. But there is not much of a reason why, especially at this point. I guess we will see.
    My intuition tells me it used to be because it was a fun place for (mostly men) to go for a convention...gamble, shows, fights, clubs, etc etc. You can do all that mostly anywhere now.
    There is plenty of reasons why it it remains one of the top convention places in the USA. Lots of lodging, entertainment all within walking distance of the convention center. No other city offers as much as Las Vegas. A place you can still take family to. The male city is long past. There are animal, magic, illusion shows, swimming pools and a great strip for children too. Romantic restaurants, fine cuisine. No city comes close.