Quote Originally Posted by RustyNail View Post
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I've been a basic strategy player and counter using Hi-Lo for many years. I'm trying to take my play to the next level by adding the 18 most useful deviations to my play.
I don't know a great deal about these "18 most useful deviations," but I'll try to help nonetheless.

First things first: just a quick aside. What you're asking for is adviCe, not adviSe.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyNail View Post
The basic strategy chart is "two dimensions," your hand vs. dealer hand. Not too hard to learn. The deviations chart make it three dimensional.
Well, that's not really true. The BS chart is your hand, the dealer's upcard, and a letter in a box representing S, H, D, etc. Now, for some of those boxes, you have a number, instead of a letter. Why does that make matters "three dimensional"? You already have the true count in your head. So, you reference your index number, compare it to the TC, and decide what play to make.

Make sure that you understand the meaning of the numbers, as to which action you take on the hand. Beginners can get confused with that. So, if the TC is greater than or equal to the index, according to the situation, you: stand, double, split, insure, or surrender (not necessarily in that order!).

As for memorizing 18 numbers, well, frankly, how long can that possibly take? Make flash cards, do computer drills, or just stare at the chart till it all sinks in, but realize that this isn't calculus!

Good luck.

Don