I haven't posted here in a while, but I want to discuss how we can lower variance, even at the cost of some EV. I have been wagering at approximately one-half Kelly (factoring in some camouflage bets). I pay attention to Score and ROR and incorporate some of Don's risk-averse indices, but I think more light can be shed in this area. We all know bout the importance of having an adequate bankroll to survive the inevitable huge downswings, but I am interested in discussing other ideas of how to limit the variance that may cause these downswings.
I feel, with little empirical evidence to back up my assertion, that surrender is an underrated feature that we do not fully take advantage of. I know that there are surrender indices for each count, but these are geared towards maximizing EV. I am currently looking at how to minimize variance and I have some ideas about how to use surrender more effectively.
Surrender is just one topic that I mentioned to spur the discussion. I would be looking for other ideas, strategies, and philosophies about minimizing variance.