40-1 is really being a pig but MAYBE you could get away with that if it looks like you're pressing, pissed off your losing or whatever
But then dropping back down to one bet on the shuffle is just throwing it in their face. don't do that.Bet even 10 units off the top, give up a little ev and gradually ramp it down.If you lost the last hand maybe even 5 units. But 1? That's really bad.
Or even better just color up, take a little break and then play at another table or even better another pit afterwards and start out betting a few units off the top.This is ESPECIALLY true when using a 40-1 spread. Try and make it not look like 40-1.

As for them not caring what you do- that may be true (starting not to sound like that.) But even if it's true, it's true until it isn't. If you said you don't care about the store then screw it, be greedy until they back you off. But you said it's the only game in town. They've left you alone so treat it with respect.If I'm in Vegas in some place I don't care about that doesn't have sister properties I'm worried about i'm gonna spread a lot bigger than a place that's a short drive away that I'm gonna put in a lot more hours in each year.

Is the lost ev of say a 10 unit bet off the top worth being backed off your main local store?