Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
I started this thread with a trip roll example because it seems to me that often when a new player asks what size their trip roll should be, I see answers like "30 max bets" with no inquiry to what game will be played, what bet spread will be used, how many hands will be played (length of trip), will a win goal be employed, will you play all hands or "Wong", etc. which do seem to me like relevant factors (otherwise why did Norm include them in his software?) that are not being taken into consideration. Also because people used to give Z crap about preserving his wins which created the false impression that using a trip goal would cause disaster without providing any sim data to support their opinions.
When someone seeks advice for a trip (not session) roll, they may play many different games on the trip. For instance, when on a trip, I play some $10-$15 minimum 6 deck games with 1-10 spread, $25 minimum DD games that are play all ones with a 1-5 spread. So, the answer has to be general. When I ask that question, I don’t need sims, I trust the experience of certain pros and take their advice. Following their advice has helped me.

For the above games, on a trip where I would play actual 25 table hours, I usually take $6-8k. Though, for practical purposes, I would quit if I lost $5k, head home. If I am winning, and up $2.5k, I go into “preserving the win” mode, put away $1k (ensuring I have had a successful trip) and play with the rest of the winnings till I start for home. This means, my win total would be more than $1k for sure, may be more if variance is with me with the $1.5k BR I play with for the remaining hours of my trip.