See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read this? A book for someone like me it sounds.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye of the Eagle View Post
    It's pretty simple. You spend the 11 bucks and satisfy your yourself instead getting in mindless discussions that will lead you down the rabbit hole. You look foolish and cheap.
    Its quite common to ask people for book reviews on this site. I might look foolish and cheap to you as you look arrogant and stupid to me but it’s a bit much that you have elected to speak for anyone else on this forum.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Its quite common to ask people for book reviews on this site. I might look foolish and cheap to you as you look arrogant and stupid to me but it’s a bit much that you have elected to speak for anyone else on this forum.
    I think you might be wrong. Whats 11 dollars to you? Would you rather be the the subject of ridicule? Does 11 dollars mean that much to you? Make a AP move and buy the book. A full review of your findings will be expected.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I think you might be wrong. Whats 11 dollars to you? Would you rather be the the subject of ridicule? Does 11 dollars mean that much to you? Make a AP move and buy the book. A full review of your findings will be expected.
    The arrogance is stunning. How do you know I would be ridiculed for seeking out if anyone had read the book? Ah, you know how all the 1000+ members of this forum think? You know they think exactly like you, right?

"I have created a bridge between the voodoo player in the second category and the advantage player."
    Regarding the above statement (from the book, not ZeeBabar), it seems to me that the closest thing to such a bridge would be finding a very juicy DD or SD game and playing a very small spread. Losing streaks should be fairly tolerable and the winnings should pile up in due time...

Take a poll Z see who thinks you should buy the book. Then you can give us the information.

Take a poll Z see who thinks you should buy the book. Then you can give us the information.
    I am interested in those who have read the book and their opinion of it. Whether I buy the book or read it is irrelevant. I am not interested in some idiot wanting yet another stupid poll. The books I have were all bought because people I respect had read them and recommended the books to me.

I am interested in those who have read the book and their opinion of it. Whether I buy the book or read it is irrelevant. I am not interested in some idiot wanting yet another stupid poll. The books I have were all bought because people I respect had read them and recommended the books to me.
    If I told you that I read the book and it was horseshit, would that make you feel better? Well, I haven't read the book, but from its description, it's horseshit! The fact that, from it's description, you don't think it's horseshit is not a very good sign.

Don

Don

[QUOTE=DSchles;279869]If I told you that I read the book and it was horseshit, would that make you feel better? Well, I haven't read the book, but from its description, it's horseshit! The fact that, from it's description, you don't think it's horseshit is not a very good sign.

Don

Don, it probably is horseshit. On the other hand It might also have techniques on overcoming whatever it is that those of us who have difficulty betting optimally might need. All I did was ask if anyone had read it and what their opinion of it was.

Intellectually, I know when to max bet but I also know that after losing 3-4 max bets in a row playing heads up, I have reduced the bet or quit while the count was still high. I know what I am supposed to do when I place a max bet but have at times balked at doubling A,6 against a 2 or splitting 6’s or 8’s against a 9 or 10. Sometimes I bet less than I should at low positive TC, wait too long. Crap like that. A deep seated fear of going broke.

These are are psychological issues that still afflict some of us, those the author calls a category of voodoo players. Maybe he has some valid suggestions.

These are are psychological issues that still afflict some of us,
    You've discussed this ad nauseum here. Look at Ryemo's recent post about his 200 hour loss and note the long term graph. Nothing you read in a book will help you overcome your playing scared. It's like gravity. You have to believe the math.

Intellectually, I know when to max bet but I also know that after losing 3-4 max bets in a row playing heads up, I have reduced the bet or quit while the count was still high. I know what I am supposed to do when I place a max bet but have at times balked at doubling A,6 against a 2 or splitting 6’s or 8’s against a 9 or 10. Sometimes I bet less than I should at low positive TC, wait too long. Crap like that. A deep seated fear of going broke.
    I wouldn't split (6, 6) versus 9 or 10. Basic Strategy splits Sixes only till dealer 6 or 7 (Single Deck), and I18 doesn't comprise this deviation.
    Last edited by PinkChip; 12-01-2019 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    I wouldn't split (6, 6) versus 9 or 10. Basic Strategy splits Sixes only till dealer 6 or 7 (Single Deck), and I18 doesn't comprise this deviation.
    I know. I meant splitting 6’s against a 2,3.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    You've discussed this ad nauseum here. Look at Ryemo's recent post about his 200 hour loss and note the long term graph. Nothing you read in a book will help you overcome your playing scared. It's like gravity. You have to believe the math.
    Dear 21forme, I intellectually understand it. It’s in the heat of the battle that fears overcome it. This entire forum, you included, have helped me survive so far to where I am marginally a winning player. The ridicule and the lectures often come to mind and pushes me along. One, for example, is me going on a trip, winning 2-3k or losing 3-4K and I would quit playing, either preserving my win or containing my losses but the jeering and laughter and ridicule has kept me from doing it. Now, I go on and play the hours as scheduled.

I do try to believe the math but math is not immortal, has no heat and backoffs to fear, an unlimited bankroll and perfect performance with every deviation. Math is like a brand new Tesla and I am a 70 year old car. It needs maintenance and this forum provides it.

You and Don are probably right, and the book is “horseshit” but it’s what I wanted to know when I asked for a book review.

I know. I meant splitting 6’s against a 2,3.
    Ah, ok. But BS demands for splitting (6, 6) vs. 3 anyway, and I incorporated Split (6, 6) vs. 2 in my generic / customized version of BS since it is anyway called for when DAS is allowed.

What makes me more trouble is doubling down 10 vs. 10 or Ace when the count is high (TC = 4, but not yet 7). The risk-averse stuff. I must admit that I often have a bad feeling doubling this hand, in contrast to doubling 11 vs. 10. But even the latter can go wrong, and math is immortal, human beings are not (see your other post).
    Last edited by PinkChip; 12-01-2019 at 05:20 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast