Thread: back counting question

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

back counting question

say if im back counting at a 6 deck game and about 1/3 cards are used and the TC is -3, the table right next to this game has exact same 6 deck bj and the shoe just got started, should i stop counting the first table and move on to the second table? if not, at what point should i stop and move on?

Refer to Blackjack Attack 3 by Don S. There you will find the optimal departure points for various scenarios.

Yes.

P.S. You should have left the first table long before -3.
    P.P.S. Don't spend so long backcounting a shoe. it's too obvious what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post

P.S. You should have left the first table long before -3.
    Absolutely you should move on. Why would you want to invest time in a more than half-dealt shoe that is very negative? The chance of having any meaningful advantage from that shoe is very low. The fresh shoe has a much higher opportunity because the count is closer to your entry point and has many more cards remaining to play if it gets there.

Maybe a trickier question: If two shoes are both at RC=0 but one is freshly started and the other is half-dealt, which one do you prefer to track?
    For the fresh one: you will get more cards to play if the count runs up early enough, so you have a chance for greater volume of bets at an advantage. You might also have a smoother betting pattern since the TC does not move as quickly.
    For the half used one: you are already past the slow-moving part of the shoe. TC volatility increases with penetration so you can expect that you might get to a favorable count with less waiting time. But you might not get many hands before the shoe ends or you have to jump back out. (This assumes you tracked the entire shoe already)

Just to bound the scenario, assume these are the only two tables you can play, and you can't track both. What's the math on this?

I will take the second shoe, especially if I have been counting it from the start and it would help me make the decision if, even with count at TC 0, it’s Ace rich.

I recall once being half shoed, riding this shitty shoe to the hi lo RC equivalent of -23. I was decent at shuffle tracking in those days, and with a simple shuffle, happily cut the shoe. I was playing red light green then, and made $500 on the shoe.

To Wong in or Wong out - that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    I will take the second shoe, especially if I have been counting it from the start and it would help me make the decision if, even with count at TC 0, it’s Ace rich.
    How long have you been side counting aces, Zee? Are you using an ace neutral count?

Quote Originally Posted by refinery View Post
    How long have you been side counting aces, Zee? Are you using an ace neutral count?
    I used the IF word. I just count HiLO, don’t try counting side Aces on 6 deck shoes, occasionally try to keep it in DD games using chips.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    I used the IF word. I just count HiLO, don’t try counting side Aces on 6 deck shoes, occasionally try to keep it in DD games using chips.
    ‘Especially if I DID count” need to use proper context.

He knows what you play - he’s just being a bonehead - Ma Nishtana.