Thread: The Perfect Bet by Adam Kucharski

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The Perfect Bet by Adam Kucharski

Just picked up The Perfect Bet from my local Library yesterday, and although I only read the first three chapters I am really enjoying it so far. What I did notice was the almost complete lack of books on gambling in my Library. Thirty-five years ago the Library had blackjack books by Thorpe, Revere, Uston, Wong, Snyder, Andersen as well as some useless ones. There were also books on poker, backgammon, bridge, gin, general gambling etc. Fifteen years ago poker books were all over the section. Yesterday, the only book on the shelf was The Perfect Bet. I researched my local Library catalogue, and they have not added any new books on the subject of gambling this year or last year. What newer books would you recommend I look for, as I can no longer rely on my local Library for books, and I have reread my own personal library many times.
    Last edited by Old, but not dead; 09-24-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Old, but not dead View Post
    Just picked up The Perfect Bet from my local Library yesterday, and although I only read the first three chapters I am really enjoying it so far. What I did notice was the almost complete lack of books on gambling in my Library. Thirty-five years ago the Library had blackjack books by Thorpe, Revere, Uston, Wong, Snyder, Andersen as well as some useless ones. There were also books on poker, backgammon, bridge, gin, general gambling etc. Fifteen years ago poker books were all over the section. Yesterday, the only book on the shelf was The Perfect Bet. I researched my local Library catalogue, and they have not added any new books on the subject of gambling this year or last year. What newer books would you recommend I look for, as I can no longer rely on my local Library for books, and I have reread my own personal library many times.
    Try going into your local Barnes & Noble. Mine doesn't have a single BJ book, and virtually no gaming books at all.

Sad.

Don

Oldie Goldie

Just got back from your neck of the woods. That nice 6d game on 3rd floor isn’t there anymore. That really busy place really close to hwy only dealing 33% DD. Full tables both 25 and 50 min. Rest of it is the same.

I’ve already booked a November trip. Shit. Think I’ll check out cancellation and rebook fees.

I found this to be especially true in my neck of the woods. Checked several bookstores before ordering Dons book from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Oldie Goldie

Just got back from your neck of the woods. That nice 6d game on 3rd floor isn’t there anymore. That really busy place really close to hwy only dealing 33% DD. Full tables both 25 and 50 min. Rest of it is the same.

I’ve already booked a November trip. Shit. Think I’ll check out cancellation and rebook fees.
    Try crossing the line a table opening time to get heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Old, but not dead View Post
    Try crossing the line a table opening time to get heads up
    Part of my thoughts for next trip if I go.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Try going into your local Barnes & Noble. Mine doesn't have a single BJ book, and virtually no gaming books at all.

Sad.

Don
    Just checked out the Chapters/Indigo site. Has your book online Don, but not available in stores. I did put a request in for my Library to purchase your book Don, but I doubt it will go anywhere. I got my copy of BJA at the Gamblers Book Club in Las Vegas. I guess I will wait until I am back in Vegas to be able to browse the book shelf.

"Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

lol running an xls from a .ru site. I'm good, thanks.

Update on the book:

Even though Adam Kucharski is an Associate Professor and Sir Henry Dale Fellow at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, where he works on mathematical analysis and models of infectious disease outbreaks, this book contains almost no math. He gives general ideas on how to model many sports and games, but almost no specifics. Lots of reference to others' papers, but no new ideas. Typical publish or perish type book from a junior professor trying to get tenure. Interesting read if you are looking for general ideas of other AP opportunities, but the bibliography is probably the only thing an AP can use from this book.

Nobody under a certain age even reads books anymore, much less books about gambling. And why would they? Most blackjack can now be learned with a google or youtube search. I for one prefer the books though for differnet reasons.
    However regarding reading and general knowledge, it is truly scary.
    Ask someone you know under 30 to name a book they have read. They can't even name one.
    If they can, then quiz them about it. They can't answer.
    And these are people who vote etc, yikes. But hey, at least they are "woke" Lol
    Last edited by Counting_Is_Fun; 09-30-2019 at 12:53 AM.