See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illustrious 18 with Counting methods other than Hi-Lo

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Illustrious 18 with Counting methods other than Hi-Lo

Quick Question, is the Illustrious 18 the same if I'm using Wong Halves instead of Hi-Lo?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gub11 View Post
    Quick Question, is the Illustrious 18 the same if I'm using Wong Halves instead of Hi-Lo?
    Thanks
    Yes. Pretty much universal application to all counts. Possible minor differences not worth worrying about.

Don

Are you actually THE Don Schlesinger?

You mean Iliza's uncle?

Insurance is the biggest difference.

Last time I checked, yes.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    Insurance is the biggest difference.
    What is that supposed to mean? You think that insurance isn't part of the I18 for all counts? What is your point?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    What is that supposed to mean? You think that insurance isn't part of the I18 for all counts? What is your point?

Don
    Insurance is not the same # using hi lo than it is with halves. I took it that the OP was asking if the index numbers were the same when using halves compared to hi lo. Almost all of them yes, but insurance is the biggest difference.

Insurance is not the same # using hi lo than it is with halves. I took it that the OP was asking if the index numbers were the same when using halves compared to hi lo. Almost all of them yes, but insurance is the biggest difference.
    1) I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but he didn't specifically say each individual index; he asked if the I18 (collectively?) were the same for the two count systems.
    2) Insurance is the BIGGEST difference?? See p. 53 of Wong's Pro BJ. Floored to the nearest integer, they would be identical for all numbers of decks, no?

Don

Last time I checked, yes.

Don
    Reminds me of a 1 liner.
    This guy named Schles was in the hospital. This older nurse came back to the nurses station and exclaims - there this guy who has Schles tattooed on his schmekell.

A pretty young thing doesnt believe this and decides to take a look for herself. She returns a few minutes later and exclaims - it doesn’t say Schles, it says Schlesinger.

Sorry Don, couldn’t resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Reminds me of a 1 liner.
    This guy named Schles was in the hospital. This older nurse came back to the nurses station and exclaims - there this guy who has Schles tattooed on his schmekell.

A pretty young thing doesn't believe this and decides to take a look for herself. She returns a few minutes later and exclaims - it doesn’t say Schles, it says Schlesinger.
    Sorry Don, couldn’t resist.
    Yup. Oldie but goodie.

Don

1) I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but he didn't specifically say each individual index; he asked if the I18 (collectively?) were the same for the two count systems.
    2) Insurance is the BIGGEST difference?? See p. 53 of Wong's Pro BJ. Floored to the nearest integer, they would be identical for all numbers of decks, no?

Don
    1 it makes more sense if he is asking if the numbers are the same index numbers per play. Almost all are exact, EXCEPT

2 insurance, yes, the biggest difference. I didnt say it was a BIG difference. I said the BIGGEST difference in any differences between hi lo and halves. Im not talking flooring. I hate that. Flooring means 3.0 and 3.9 are the same. Theyre not.

1 it makes more sense if he is asking if the numbers are the same index numbers per play. Almost all are exact, EXCEPT

2 insurance, yes, the biggest difference. I didnt say it was a BIG difference. I said the BIGGEST difference in any differences between hi lo and halves. Im not talking flooring. I hate that. Flooring means 3.0 and 3.9 are the same. Theyre not.
    1. Illustrious 18 are a series of plays. Strike points vary by index number used over the spectrum of count systems, but are essentially the same.

2. Hi Lo and halves are remarkably identical, which makes halves a natural choice when deciding on stronger systems. The insurance strike points occur at the same point in time, though the true value is different per count - because allowances must be made for the 9 - which is counted at halves, but not Hi Lo.

3. Flooring is the safest, I understand your comment. Sim by half true counts which alleviates your concerns. You will note that ramps are slightly different when simming by half true counts versus full true counts. Also, you can learn to to interpolate, which is a powerful tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast